Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking hard about college

Unhappy thinking hard about college

Im 19 years old and i graduated high school in 2004. The whole time in HS i thought i would go to college for 4 years and that would be it. Well i gave college a try, just so happens i was emotionally drained from a bad breakup in high school and to make things worse my ex-gf went to the same college as me. Needless to say i had a pretty bad emotional breakdown that lead me into some hard drugs. I droped out not finishing my first semester and decided to take the self taught road.
    Its hard to get an IT job with no certs, experience or degree...
    I worked for free as a chevy dealerships go-to-guy. it was an ok time but more importantly i was getting better mentally thanks to prozac and therepy
    now its May 2005 and I got my Network+ cert. im in a really crappy Telephone helpdesk job and wondering if dropping out of college was a wise idea.
    Almost seems a Bachelors degree is the minimum requirement to land anything decent paying.
    Im feeling alot better than i was in 2004 and feel foolish for the way i took things and am wondering if i should give college another shot, instead of just going for certifications.

discuss
    -Simo

Banned
    Your mood says you got a job as a network admin in March 2005...

Tech/Admin i was the only network guy there, so yeah i was an admin you could say. Wasnt paid a single dime though
    -Simo

AOs Resident Troll
    Go back to school...while you are still young and dont have too many other commitments.

True story.

MS contacted me and offered me a job...at head office.

I beleive the only reason I didnt get the job was because I didnt have a college\university degree....I had MS, Novell, A + certs and was very knowledgable on the product they wanted me to work on...but no degree. It could have been an Arts degree...

I have always wanted to go back and get a degree...but the older you get the harder it is...as I have far more responsiblities now...and kids to raise...its really not that high up on the priority list anymore.

Do it now

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Banned
    i've dropped in an out of college many times. now i have about a year to go. it takes a certain degree of maturity to stick it out but if you have brains to it then there's no question that you should go back asap. i don't recommend it if you still have psychological problems because you will just waste your money and drop out. i have probably gotten lucky that my current employer probably misread "currently persuing" such and such degree as "has" degree.

GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND WORRY ABOUT CERTS. LATER.

From my experience I really enjyoed my college time, it ended last year, and i sometimes really miss it.
    Dont look at college just as some place where you go n get degree only, You have friends there, who may help you get out of your emotional setback. you can improve your networking skills in computer lab, and can find real inetellectual challenge which helps you lot in improving your skills. but all these possibilities and can depend a lot on individul cases...( if you assert yourself as loner then it no different than anywhere else)
    So as unhappy said : GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND WORRY ABOUT CERTS. LATER.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

i was thinking about ITT tech but all ive heard online about it is horror stories
    last i heard they were under investigation by the SEC and justice dept.
    -Simo

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by Simo
    i was thinking about ITT tech but all ive heard online about it is horror stories
    last i heard they were under investigation by the SEC and justice dept.
    ITT is not regionally accredited. The stories you read are indeed true.

I offer three bits of advice:

1. Go to a school that is regionally accredited.
    2. Don't get a degree in any kind of networking online - you need the practical work of a lab.
    3. Don't take short cuts with your college education.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Dude... go to a real school.... if you play your cards right, it can be a 6-10 year free ride.

Hell, look at me... I've been in college for 5 years now, I'll hopefully be getting my AA within the next 2 years. (Yes, I have been a full time student for 5 years )

True story:

Dropped out college at 19, had a kid and a "real" job at 21. Got sick of getting laid off and getting the "short end of the stick" by people who thought they were better than me because of a piece of paper they had and I didn't. Went back to school at the age of 31 (3 kids, and no help from wifey) and I am now only 18 months away from my B.S. Which means now I won't just be full of it, I'll have the paper to back it up.

My advice: Go back to school now and you'll be better off, at least you'll qualify for a lot more in life.

BTW- I am going to continue my education even after my degree. I just won't go so fast and furious with it.

peace
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson