Thread: Will it work? AMD and Asus old...

Question Will it work? AMD and Asus old...

Hi guys,

Here is my problem and i couldnt find satisfactory solution via google, so here it is.....

I ahve ASUS A7V266-E motherboard with athlon Xp 1900+ processor which is 3 years old. now my processor is gone, and i need a new one, and here at my place we can find latest AMD processor 64 bit easily but not 32 bit athlon XP, i tried. now latest is that i can find a AMD sempron 2200+ processor which is 32bit, but i dont know will it work with my motherboard, because it says on a website that it is socket 462 that is available( same of my motherboard), at this link(just for information...)

http://www.xpcgear.com/amdsemproncpus.html

but it says that it is 333 MHZ FSB, will it work with my 266 MHz DDr RAM or will i have to change it?

My current finances hold me back from buying altogether new motherboard and RAM, so if anyone can tell me any other model available that can work on this system, I am still searching net,
    thanks
    It\'s all about sense of power.

I have found solution on this website and here is link,

http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t35063.html

Hope if somebody face same problem it will help or you can tell if this information is wrong...?

Your motherboard supports up to a 266MHz FSB (Double Pumped). At 266MHz, you'll need at least DDR PC2100 RAM...

But the Sempron processor you mentioned needs a 333MHz FSB (Double Pumped) to operate at the correct speed. Since your board will only go up to 266MHz on the FSB (ie, it cannot operate at 333MHz for the FSB), the processor will be running at that slower Front Side Bus speed, which will reduce performance. It will not operate at 2200+ speeds, and will most likely perform worse than your AthlonXP 1900+...

I think you'll want to either pick up another AthlonXP 1900+ or upgrade the motherboard (& RAM) to something supporting a faster FSB speed. Then you can get a more recent processor. As it stands, you're looking for some of the oldest AthlonXP processors built for your platform, and the choices are either the Athlon XP 1900+ or running a more expensive processor at speeds well below what the Athlon XP 1900+ offers.

Cheers & good luck.

Old Fart
    www.pricewatch.com

If they ain't got what you need, you don't need it.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

you were right tim, but it was worst, now the cpu fan and motherboard fan is working and there is signal strengths on all critical points of motherboard but still even on new RAM and AGP card there is no display not in first screen, it is absolutely blank now.....

So i think i will have to dump this motherboard because even chip level engineer is not able to pinpoint what is wrong there with motherboard, as atleast it should give initial boot up screen.....

now a small question ..... can this happen that you dont get display when BIOS on MB ROM is flashed? It may happen because this motherboard got screwed when temperature was over safe limit ( my sister was working and she ignored the warning) both for CPU and motherboard. I can get new board but i need to know what is wrong with old one...
    I am still tinkering with it .. but till now no success...

What happened? I'm trying to piece together your story...was your sister using the computer when the processor over heated? Did you give all of the parts time to cool down and then try to see if it worked then?

Also, what parts did you change (what parts were replaced, and what did you replace them with)? Did you try to put the original parts back into the computer and see if they still work?

What seems to be happening is that your computer isn't passing the POST (Power On Self Test) test. Is your computer making a series of "beep" sounds when you turn it on? Or do fans spin and nothing else happens? You may want to borrow a "POST0Code Reader" (If you can borrow/use one for free, that would be best) and see if the code it gives tells you why you aren't passing the POST Test. (It'll look something like this)

BTW, usually the display doesn't work if all of the PCI and AGP cards are not inserted all of the way. Sometimes it could be because the RAM isn't supported. And other times it is because of a CPU/processor problem.

One more thing you might try (along with what is mentioned above) is to reset your CMOS. It doesn't usually help, but you might as well try everything. (There should be a jumper somewhere on the board to reset it)

thanks for your time tim,
    yes i tried all your things as you mentioned above, and here is all that happened:

my sister was using system but didn't know what to do with warning, so she tried to save her work and shut down system but before that system was off with burning smell coming from SMPS ( as CPU tower is on table itself, she knew where it was coming from).

now here is what i did till now:

i got it checked it from a chip level engineer, he told me something was wrong with IC chip( as per him it controls the pwer supply to things on motherboard or like that), so he changed it, but in vain.
    so then i visited asus website there in troubleshooting it was mentioned to clear CMOS, we did that as instructed using a jumper near CMOS battery.

we also changed the RAM, AGP card, processor(but it is new sempron 2400+, this is what i doubt, but i cant find athlon XP here in local market,) and of course SMPS.

about this card you provided me link to, well to be honest, i havent seen it with my eyes, but my engineer told me that he is checking mother board with a card which tell if all ccritical signals are coming through, and in that test motherboard is working fine, but only till CPU is not added. but today also he is cheking it and will tell me tomorrow.

and as for current status yes it is stuck with POST test, no beep, no display, but CPU fan, small fan on motherboard are running at usual speed with even green indicator light is on.

now about parts: i checked both RAM modules separately, they are working absolutely fine. one point though: one of this RAm module stopped working on this motherboard few days back but now that is working fine on other board. so can it be problem that RAM holder slot on motherboard is not getting RAm at all, (dust etc)? or something like that.

sorry for such long post, it is just that till a problem is not recognised (and solved) i can't rest.. and try every path possible.

He might have changed the Voltage Regulator Modules (VRM) which convert 3.3v and 5v down to about +1.8v at high amperages. They do not usually go bad, but if he replaced the Power Supply he might have also changed the VRMs...

I think that your motherboard might still work...and that the other processor might have gone bad if it over heated... (Was there a lot of dust on the processor's heat sink / fan?)

Unless you can find a supported processor you won't be able to know for sure though.

It might be cheaper to buy a new AMD AthonXP/Duron/Sempron motherboard at this point -- and you'll be able to use the full power (which is a little more than what you had) of the Sempron processor you bought. www.NewEgg.com (a USA company -- I don't think they ship to India) has some AMD AthlonXP/Duron/Sempron (K7) motherboards for under $50 USD.

rider_royal

My guess would be that your motherboard is fried as well. You do not normally lose the processor without that happening as well, unless you are very quick And there really is no point in getting an old processor unless you are certain that the motherboard still works.

I think that the time has come to start afresh

My PC is still with that engineer and now he is consulting other one also (just to fid out, what is actually gone to cause problem) whereas i have decided to buy new motherboard CPU for this PC and whenever i get that right( in day or two) i think i will use it a old second hand box and will learn and practice networking on linux between two. nice thought..?