Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Sponsors NMAP in Coding Project

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Google Sponsors NMAP in Coding Project

If you are a student and you are looking for an excellent opportunity, take a look at the following (mailed yesterday from Fyodor):

Yesterday, Google announced their first Summer of Code program. This innovative and generous program provides $4,500 stipends to each of 200 university students to create or enhance open source software during their summer break. I am pleased to announce that Nmap is one of 40 open source projects that Google selected for this program. We would be pleased to work with one or more students to extend the power of Nmap. You get paid, gain valuable experience and a great resume booster, while the Nmap project and users benefit from your valuable contributions.

You have until June 14 to apply if you are interested, though your chances may be better if you apply sooner. If you do fill out the application, please also send me the project description and a brief bio describing how your experience fits the project. Also let me know what school you attend. I have written up some project ideas, though you are free to submit whatever cool idea your heart desires.

Here are the relevant URLs:

Nmap Project Ideas: http://www.insecure.org/nmap/GoogleGrants.html
    Google's Summer of Code Page: http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html
    Participant FAQ: http://code.google.com/summfaq.html
    Application Form: http://code.google.com/soc_application.html
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hey Hey,

I got this in this morning... It's pretty amazing stuff... However beyond NMap the entire list of organizations you can work with is pretty amazing.. There's quite a few that I'd love to be a part of...

Source: http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html
    The Apache Software Foundation (ideas)
    Asterisk
    Blender (ideas)
    Bricolage (ideas)
    Codehaus (ideas)
    Drupal (ideas)
    Fedora Code
    FreeBSD (ideas)
    Gaim (ideas)
    Gallery (ideas)
    The Gnome Foundation (ideas)
    Handhelds.org (ideas)
    Horde (ideas)
    Inkscape (ideas)
    Internet2 (ideas)
    Jabber
    JXTA (ideas)
    KDE
    Project Looking Glass
    LispNYC (ideas)
    Live Journal
    Mambo (ideas)
    The Mono Project (ideas)
    Monotone (ideas)
    NetBSD (ideas)
    NMap (ideas)
    OhioLink
    OpenOffice (ideas)
    OSCAR (ideas)
    The Perl Foundation (submission guidelines & ideas)
    Portland State University (ideas)
    The Python Software Foundation (ideas)
    Samba (ideas)
    Semedia (ideas)
    The Subversion Project (ideas)
    Ubuntu Linux (ideas)
    The Wine Project (ideas)
    WinLibre (ideas)
    XWiki (ideas)
    Google
    Peace,
    HT

Elite Hacker
    Wow, when I first saw that there were maybe 5 orgs in the list. That's awesome, a lot more are getting into it. Should be a good summer .

Yea that list is great it makes me wish i was in college maby they will be still doing this in a few years.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You don't have to be a student to contribute to open source or any of these projects. Nessus, NMAP and many other open source projects welcome input from anyone who is willing to work on the project. Well, unless you are a dumb@ss like Skiddie...

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

well guys, i am in college, and it is a great list, great thing to do
    but i think my country is in the list of banned countries from the us department (the terrorism thing)
    i would really love to participate...
    maybe i will help my frnd abroad in his coding..
    if anyone here wants to be in, i will be glad to help

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by thehorse13
    You don't have to be a student to contribute to open source or any of these projects. Nessus, NMAP and many other open source projects welcome input from anyone who is willing to work on the project. Well, unless you are a dumb@ss like Skiddie...

O I know that i was just saying to Participate in the google thing you need to be and with some luck I will be one in a year or so.

Would it be possible to create a webap that uses kpilot and allows syncing over the internet? That would be so dope. If it's possible then I wanna make it.
    "Do you know why the system is slow?" they ask

"It's probably something to do with..." I look up today's excuse ".. clock speed"
    -BOFH

Google. What a bunch of faggots!