Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows update

windows update

Hey I might have turned off something but when I fire up internet Explorer to go to www.windowsupdate.com it just loads a blank page and says done. Does anyone have any idea what I might have turned off and how to turn it back on?? ActiveX?? Also is there a way to use Firefox to go to windowsupdate and get a sequential listing of when windows updates came out and their description. fyi: I used Firefox and went to windowsupdate.com and clicked on security updates but all it lists is the most popular 10 rankings.

ms does not like firefox. So you need to either use the automatic updater included with windows or use IE to go to that page.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Yes, I agree, use only IE to update your M$ product. need ActiveX.
    But just curious here:

What OS are you running?

Who registered windowsupdate.com ( can't seem to locate who registered that domain ) , and who told you to go there?

For XP I believe the correct URL may be something like
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Hey I might have turned off something
    When I use IE I nuetered it as well.

Does anyone have any idea what I might have turned off and how to turn it back on?? ActiveX??
    Open IE > Tools > Internet Options > Security tab > click on the Default Level radio button.

Open IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > on the bottom right, click on the Restore Defaults radio button.

Click OK.

Surf to the correct web site and patch that bugger up. Let us know if that works. Additionally there are some of the things you restored in IE that you will probably want to disable once you're patched. Good time to learn more about your installed programs, open up two browsers, one being IE to find out what changes you can make and another to google to find out the ramifications of those changes. The Help File will also provide you with a wealth of knowledge. These are things you should know about your software.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Relyt - thanks for your help but I tried those options already and they didnt work. I tried the other windows update link that someone suggested and that didnt work either. I use Windows XP. And yes I know windows doesnt like Firefox but you can still access and download windows updates by using Firefox, you just have to download the executable and install it yourself. So as of now still not working.

Interesting... and as you have stated, you can use another browser to update windows. On the link you originally listed they directed you to this link if you were to use other browsers: Here:

What versions of IE (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp2)? are you using.

cheers

OK,

This may be a bit of "conspiracy theory" but this article may be relevant?

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...yValidate.aspx

I wonder if "Billy Windows" has upped the ante with his software piracy precautions?

Sure, I have tried Moz 1.7, FF and Opera, but then you have to sort through a mass of possible updates and pick the ones you want. Like on this WinME box I was offered around 630!!!!! And I still suspect that you need ActiveX to install them. That is on your local machine of course.

If you have problems with IE and getting updates just set the security to "medium" and/or make sure that you have these entries in your "trusted sites" zone :

http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    http://*.windowsupdate.com

Obviously, if you do not wish to use a particular supplier's products you are quite at liberty not to. However if you do, they will decide the rules? And, might I suggest, that monopolists, like leopards, are not noted for changing their spots

I believe that the embedding of IE and interdependency with Windows is part of the European Union's anti-monopoly case against Microsoft....

thats my £0.02 anyway

k

i had a problem like that .. if you have sygate firewall runing he sometimes knows to block some of the procceses like

generic host proces.exe
    nt kernel system.exe

an such unblock that on your sygate an then try that was a problem for me hope it helps
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

Here:

Q. Why is genuine Windows better than non-genuine Windows?

A. By using only genuine Microsoft software, you can be confident that you will enjoy the reliability, faster access to updates and the overall richer Windows experiences that you expect from Microsoft. In addition, Microsoft reserves some software and services exclusively for customers who use genuine Windows.

Q. What is an ActiveX control, and how is it used in the validation process?

A. An ActiveX control is a small executable code package that users of Internet Explorer can download and run on their PCs. The Windows Genuine Advantage validation process uses the ActiveX control to check the authenticity of your Windows software.
    Does anyone have any idea what I might have turned off and how to turn it back on?? ActiveX??
    Rut-roh, did you validate your copy

Got Key?

cheers

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Try connecting to any SSL site.... If you can't then you won't be able to autoupdate.... I have this problem with my bosses home system and still cannot find a solution without trying a reinstall... Which isn't something I really want to do..... (spend hours in my bosses house finding all her daughters MP3's etc.... )
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides