View Poll Results: Colonialism: Good or Bad?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

3 37.50%
  • Bad

5 62.50%

Thread: What is the reasons you overclock?

What is the reasons you overclock?

Do you overclock your system? If yes, did overclocking killed some of your stuffs? If no, why?

If yes, did overclocking killed some of your stuffs? If no, why?
    No, um because i did it the right way ! ?!?!
    O.G at A.O

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    missed option :
    No - because I can't get the settings to work
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

sometimes i find overclocking quite time consuming lol

Hmmmm,

http://www.overclockers.com/

Is a good place to look around before you even think about it.

1. A lot of MoBos and videocards come with built in overclocking capabilities these days. Don't try to do it all in one go. I would overclock the system and the video card separately. Also do it in increments and check for stability each time.

2. Watch out for video cards that have been "factory overclocked".............trying to overclock those is asking for trouble

3. Remember that you will be overheating your system so you will need to beef up your cooling fans, use silver based thermal paste, create a good airflow (round cables are good for that).

4. Make sure that your PSU is up to the job.

Don't forget that fault resolution is another reason. Several times I have found that a slight over or under clocking has fixed stability and video problems. I have no idea why other than I would suspect some components were at the limits of their manufacturing tolerances?

My general recommendation is to buy what does what you want in the first instance.

I overclock.

And it hasn't killed anything because I spent 3+ months researching the market and figuring out which products were being relabeled for uses that were well under their full potential and were being sold for less. As a result, there is not a a single "stock" system that offers comparable performance to what I'm seeing. Then again, what I'm running on is the slightly-dated Dual AthlonMP platform...

The other reason it works is that I paid for a decent PSU. It cost a lot ($100) but the peace of mind from not owning a card-board $20 PSU is worth it. Infact I just took appart a "400 watt PSU" that is worth less than $5 to get extra Molex connectors, some really thin guage wire, the on/off switch, and some (small) capacitors for misc projects. It was the kind of PSU I wouldn't want powering a flash light, because the voltage fluctuation under load would probably make the bulb burn out faster

One more reason is that I'm dealing with the extra heat output. I'm currently building a new computer case for this machine because of that. By the end of next week this page will be updated with my progress (and it has progressed a lot since the last update) -> http://blog.timaxe.com/dualliewoodie/

I got a ram burnt not because of overclocking but because that i left my pc overnight lol, running default speed

I got a ram burnt not because of overclocking but because that i left my pc overnight lol, running default speed
    Well you are lucky to be alive................people who leave any electical device turned on get what they deserve.............it is a gross waste of energy...........there again, the vainglorious USA will not accept any global agreement on greenhouse gases?

The scabby Norwegians and Japs kill whales..............

Ack phtt!

Originally posted here by nihil

Well you are lucky to be alive................people who leave any electical device turned on get what they deserve.............it is a gross waste of energy...........there again, the vainglorious USA will not accept any global agreement on greenhouse gases?

The scabby Norwegians and Japs kill whales..............

Ack phtt!

Overclocking sometimes do fry your devices