Thread: I want to TLD

I want to TLD

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me where can I buy Top level domain such as .co.uk or .com ? I mean the new domain.

Hello...

If I understand this correctly you want a top level domain... You don't want blah.com you just want to own .blah

TLDs are assigned through ICANN and IANA. Now you have to realize that in the last 5 years they've only added like 6 or 7 new TLDs, with three new ones being announced this year that may be seen around the fall (.xxx, .travel and .jobs (or maybe it was .job)) TLDs aren't just given to anyone.. there as to be a specific reason for them.... and my guess would be you have to have a large amount of money to get a gTLD.. but you can go do some research and see what you find out.

Peace,
    HT

Your ISP might be interested to answer you ....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Just Another Geek
    A couple of years ago some smartass bought .tv. .tv is/was assigned to some small island with only a few internet users. They're making a heck of a lot of money these days

http://www.tv/en-def-677aa2a98d99/en...ess_news.shtml

Unless you can find a similar TLD and you have a large amount of cash I don't believe it'll happen again

But maybe you could apply for the new ones HT mentioned? You would still need a huge som of money though..

Maybe I'll go and apply for the .xxx myself
    All I need is a bank to trust me..... Yeah, right...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

wish I could have .foo
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Hi linux1880,

This breaks down TLD's by Country and is supposed to give you directions on how to apply...

The official list of all country specific TLD's, including .us, .uk, and .tv, plus links to where you can apply for a domain in that country.
    http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm
    IANA | Root-Zone Whois Index by TLD Code

Many of the new TLDs are accepting registrations.
    http://www.icann.org/tlds/
    ICANN | Top-Level Domains (gTLDs)

and last but certainly not least...

TLD Names is an accredited registrar for com , net , org domains.
    http://www.tldnames.com/
    TLDNames

Eg

Re: I want to TLD

Originally posted here by linux1880
    Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me where can I buy Top level domain such as .co.uk or .com ? I mean the new domain.
    I've Forgotten to mention that, .co.uk is called Country Cod Top Level Domain (ccTLD's) rather than Top level Domain {Examples, .com, .org, .info, .net, .tv}.

Just thought to remind you ...
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Re: Re: I want to TLD

Originally posted here by Black Cluster
    I've Forgotten to mention that, .co.uk is called Country Cod Top Level Domain (ccTLD's) rather than Top level Domain {Examples, .com, .org, .info, .net, .tv}.

Just thought to remind you ...
    Hey Hey,

If you're going to post that.. it should actually be noted that .tv (while you'd think it'd be a specialty TLD)... it's actualy a ccTLD. The countr of Tuvalu is the sponsor company and the .TV corporation has purchased the rights off of them. It was a really good idea.. I'm still surprised that no one has tried it with Italy's .IT yet.. Now .tv had very few registrations previously and I'm sure that .it has many more, but wouldn't it be an great way to subdivide the world of information technology on the internet?

Also .uk is the ccTLD... the co is just a domain they've created to further subdivide the ccTLD. I believe that the .co.uk was specifically for commercial uk operations originally.

Canada used to have something similar... we had provincial domains... so you could buy just a .ca or you could by a on.ca or a bc.ca, etc. Those have been factored out now though.

Peace,
    HT