Thread: virus damaged programs

virus damaged programs

I recently caught a nasty virus (virus/network aware worm PE_parite.A) it infected every .exe and .scr file on every drive of every computer on my network.

With patience, multiple anti-virus programs and a removal tool I managed to get rid of the damn thing...but it of course made no backups of the exe files it appended itself to, so I can't unadd the garbage data that the worm added to each of those files.

In addition to the slightly larger then they should be files, I'm also having problems with removing the programs via control panel. For well over half the programs installed on my computer I get the following error.

Messages file "c:\Program Files\program name\unins000.msg" is missing. Please correct the problem or obtain a new copy of the program."

Is there anyway to remove the entries from add-remove programs? Is it okay to reinstall over the top of the original installation or will that wreak havok with my registry?
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

If you are scared that it will mess up the registry and/or you want to be safe then import/export your registry files and try to keep a saved tab on your current settings. Messing around with the registry can be a dangerous tip and you should only REALLY do it if you FULLY know what you are doing (not saying I do, because I hardly do unless I also am sure of what I'm doing). Now, if the program is in add/remove programs then try to remove it that way (manually?).
    Space For Rent.. =]

god, how annoying....I think that is by far the most damaging virus/worm/trojan I've picked up anywhere.....EVERY exe file on my home network!! (It's only 3 computers....with multiple partitions......and smaller slaved drives ) = a whole lot of little programs.

I had recently gotten the router, before that I had another computer running smoothwall linux serving as router/firewall. This virus infected all .exe and .scr files, would it have infected any .exe files stored on the Linux machine? (seperate system, not a partition on a windows machine).
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Hi Faqt,

Same problem here...just different cause...

http://www.computing.net/windows2000...rum/60362.html
    Computing.Net - uninstallation problem

Eg

Maybe a shot in the dark bur..Run a good registry cleaner and take out the ones you know(they are buggered already so..)A lot of programs when uninstalled from add/remove leaves something somewhere which you have to delete manually..

A fresh start altogether i think is worth it,unplug all the network pc,s as well start with the o/s then your antivirus sofware to prevent any intrution.Remember to activate firewalls and then all the other pc,s afterwards..

I know your valueble info is at risk bur we have all been there...We just keep forgetting to make backups regularly..

best of luck
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.