Thread: Issue with my linksys befsr81 router and my new Verizon FiOS

Issue with my linksys befsr81 router and my new Verizon FiOS

Well I got FiOS installed today, and they had to use some crappy-ass d-link router to do the initial install and accoutn activation. So all that went well and it worked. So I then switch back to my 8-port linksys router and re-establish the connection. The FiOS uses PPPoE to assign IP addresses, so I get that all set up and it all works well. I go to test my speed and I'm suddenly not getting the 15/2mbps down/up that I should be getting; I'm getting about 700kbps down, but still have about 1850kbps up. So I call verizon and ask wtf, and they have no idea what's the problem and tell me to call linksys. I call linksys and they're clueless too.

So is it possible that this router (which is probably 4 years old) is simply too old to handle what's being done? I have updated to the latest firmware and everything. I also played around with the MTU as well, still to no avail. Should I look into purchasing a new router? If so, I'd want an 8-port router that is not d-link, because the pos they gave us is utter trash.

EDIT: Looking at the specs of my linksys router, the WAN interface is only 10mbps, not 10/100; I'm going to assume this is part of the problem...

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I had exactly the reverse on a Linksys. Everything coming down was at nice high speed but when my sweetie tried to forward on those pretty little .jpgs her friends send here they would never go. Packet sniffing the connection didn't show anything too much out of the ordinary except that the transaction was really slow and would eventually be timed out by the remote server. Firmware upgrades, changing wiring etc. did nothing.

After some time at level 3, (IIRC), support from Comcast the tech and I both began to conclude that even though my router "appeared" to be ok there was, in fact, a problem with it. Out I went and purchased a new one, put it in place and everything was perfect. I switched the old one back in and it demonstrated the same issue. The old one was sent to the great recycling center in the sky. Interestingly enough the old one was more than 3 years old - similar to yours.

If the WAN interface is 10Mbps then it isn't your bottleneck, it's still 5x the speed of your 2Mbps connection....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

However, it is slower than your 15mbps anyways. I'd replace it. I won't go into detail about my recent crappy experiences with linksys routers, but I must say I'd used a D-Link without issue for two years prior to moving in where I am now, and it makes Linksys' **** look bad.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Originally posted here by chsh
    However, it is slower than your 15mbps anyways. I'd replace it. I won't go into detail about my recent crappy experiences with linksys routers, but I must say I'd used a D-Link without issue for two years prior to moving in where I am now, and it makes Linksys' **** look bad.
    Well everyone I know who has used a d-link has had problem with keeping a connection established when you're sustaining a 5mbps or higher transmission, I am having similar problems. Not to mention that I can't get many of my games to work with this d-link, despite forwarding like 50 ports in 50 places on the router; I never had issues with the linksys.

I just went and bought a router with a 10/100 wan and got a 16 port switch to throw below it.