Thread: "The Institue for Backup Trauma"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

"The Institue for Backup Trauma"

This is worth the chuckle, even if it's a PR piece. Hard to argue with John Cleese...

Institute of Backup Trauma

Oh.. and whatever you do, don't press the 3rd button..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AOs Resident Troll
    Too Funny......

Thanks MsM

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Video shows the importantance of back up. And I pressed the 3rd button by the way. lol

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Video shows the importantance of back up.
    It does. But it also shows that tape backup isn't necessarily the only way to go. Given the recent issues with tapes going *poof* on-route to storage locations, using a online backup might be an option *IF* the connection between the workspace and the backup location is encrypted.

[edit]

A quick search on their site and I found ..

With LiveVault InSync, your data is protected every step of the way. Using state-of-the-art security, including AES encryption, VPN tunneling and digital certificates, LiveVault ensures that your data is continuously stored offsite at a secure, remote facility.
    So this might be a viable option from small to large enterprises...
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ha Ha my boss has Dilbert cartoons up all over his office. Lol
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

Hahah, that's awesome. John Cleese's boss is Michael Dorn, aka Worf from Star Trek.

I'm a geek btw. :P
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Cleese's brilliance could make this video even interesting for non-geek types.

I have a friend who works at Veritas/Symantec middleware backup, he's going to get a kick out of this.
    ∞Boundless∞

As a sidenote I was playing BioWare's Jade Empire, and found a character whose voice talent is done by.....you guessed it- John Cleese. Hilarious too.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier