Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: running two wireless routers with one cable modem

running two wireless routers with one cable modem

Basically heres what trying to achieve.

Internet---->modem---->encrypted wireless network(ap1)----->open wireless network(ap2)
    (acces point 1+2)

I've been successful up until the last part of it. Everything is fine up to (ap1) the problem starts when trying to get on the internet on (ap2). When you first open the internet browser you are able to access the internet but after a few moments you are unable to get on the internet anymore unless you power cycle (ap2) and then the whole process starts over again. I know it is probably just a setting that I'm missing but any help would be appreciated.

What I'm using

Cable co.--->motorola surfboard 5100 (provided by cable co.)---->linksys wrt54g--->
    linksys wrt54g

do this.

internet--->router1--->AP1(on channel x with encryption)
    internet--->router1--->AP2(on channel y without encryption)

or try putting the unecrypted one first and making sure they are on differnt channels and give them different SSIDS
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Forgot to mention I've changed SSID's so they dont match. I also changed freqencies and the routers are 25' apart. they are also hardwired.

Thanks
    J B

Ok make sure both have different SSIDs (which you have) put them on different channels, and dont broadcast the ssid on the encrypted one. what is probably going on is the computer is seeing both and wants to connect to both so it gets confused. make it so it cant see both or so that it can more easily tell the difference (before encryption even occurs) and it will be less confused. Putting them on different channels will probably help a bit but not broadcasting one of the SSIDs will help a lot Im thinking.

What if two internet connections isn't an option. Is what i'm trying to do possible?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    From a security point of view.... Why would you have an untrusted-unencrypted Wireless Access Point on the "secure" side of the Encrypted WAP... It doesn't make sense and might work better of you go:-

Modem ---> Unencrypted ---> Encrypted

Also, change the channel of one of the WAPs to another frequecy.... It sounds like one is interfering witrh the other.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

in my original illistration I was saying use one router then split to two APs instead of putting them in a chain, not two seperate connections. lol sorry I tryed ot make that clear.

ok i will try the unencryted on first and i have already tried different channels. it was one of the first things I did.
    Thanks for the speedy help i'll try putting the unencrypted on firtst right now.
    J B

and dont broadcast one of the SSIDs (if possible, easieset would not be broadcasting the encrypted since the people who want on already need one piece of info, getting them the second would be easier as opposed to having to give every user atleast one piece of info.)

oh, and set priority to the one you want in your wireless manager. also be sure you are only using one wireless manager.

no luck. i even tried leaving them both open but i got the same result. i could only get on the internet on the 2nd ap for a few moments then i could no longer access it. any other suggestion would be GREATLY appreciated
    Thanks for the ideas so far
    JB