Thread: any program that if set it can automatically stop all un-needed programs/services...

any program that if set it can automatically stop all un-needed programs/services...

For best game play, downloading or just doing work it would be nice to have only whats needed running. I was wondering... besides using msconfig and services.msc at run are there any programs that will list required services/programs and give you the option to disallow or stop the progs/services that arent required? I know in general which progs arent required at task manager but a prog that could do it for you would be nice considering I dont know too much about the absolutely required services needed. Thanks

AO Senior Cow-beller
    To list services from the command line, you can use srvinfo, which is part of the reskit (Microsoft Windows 2000 Resource Kit, MS Windows 2003 Resource Kit, etc.) Reskit's are available for free from MS website, I believe. At least I've never purchased one, and I haven't had to 'pirate' one. I'm pretty sure it's a free add-on.
    srvinfo will handily give you a LOT of information, such as kernel build (like they change much in MS!), version, platform, license info, etc. ad naseum. It will also list all running services and installed hotfixes (unless you invoke srvinfo -ns, which is the flag for No Services.)

Uhm, yeah, to stop and start groups of services...it's called a batch file.
    1. Open Notepad.exe
    2. Add a line in this format for each service you want stopped:
    net stop <service name>
    3. Save as <whatever>.cmd OR <whatever>.BAT

Double click/run it when you want them stopped. Troubleshoot as needed until it works.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

foundstone also offers a free tool called "vision", which will show you everything running, the services dependent on them, and any TCP/IP connections to your machine. a very handy tool.

www.foundstone.com/resources/freetools.htm

what services dont have to be running that come with windows so I know what to add to my batch file.

The upcomming microsoft command shell codename monad has buitlin commands to deal with process listing and stuff like that. untill that is pushed(2 years or something) you will have to use thrid party software.

from http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...rvices_disable

# Alerter - Sends alert messages to specified users that are connected to the server computer.
    # Application Management - Allows software to tap directly into the Add/Remove Programs feature via the Windows Installer technology.
    # Background Intelligent Transfer Service - The Background Intelligent Transfer service is used by programs (such as Windows AutoUpdate) to download files by using spare bandwidth.
    # Clipbook - ClipBook permits you to cut and paste text and graphics over the network.
    # Error Reporting Service - Allows applications to send error reports to Microsoft in the event of an application fault.
    # Fast User Switching - Windows XP allows users to switch quickly between accounts, without requiring them to log off.
    # Help and Support - Allows the XP Built-in Help and Support Center to run.
    # IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service - You don't need this if you have other software to create CDs.
    # Indexing Service - Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language.
    # IP SEC - Manages IP security policy and starts the ISAKMP/Oakley (IKE) and the IP security driver. If you are not on a domain, you likely don't need this running.
    # Messenger - Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This is how a lot of pop-up windows start appearing on your desktop.
    # Net Logon - Supports pass-through authentication of account logon events for computers in a domain. If you are not on a domain, you don't need this running
    # Network DDE - Provides network transport and security for Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) for programs running on the same computer or on different computers.
    # NT LM Security Support Provider - Provides security to remote procedure call (RPC) programs that use transports other than named pipes.
    # Performance Logs and Alerts - Collects performance data from local or remote computers based on preconfigured schedule parameters, then writes the data to a log or triggers an alert. If you don't need to monitor your performance logs, then you don't need this service.
    # Portable Media Serial Number - Retrieves the serial number of any portable music player connected to your computer
    # QOS RSVP - Provides network signaling and local traffic control setup functionality for QoS-aware programs and control applets.
    # Remote Desktop Help Session Manager - Manages and controls Remote Assistance. If you are not using Remote Desktop you don't need this service.
    # Remote Registry - Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer.
    # Routing & Remote Access - Offers routing services to businesses in local area and wide area network environments. Allows dial-in access.
    # Secondary Login - Enables starting processes under alternate credentials. This is what allows you to run an application as another user.
    # Smart Card - Manages access to smart cards read by this computer.
    # Smart Card Helper - Enables support for legacy non-plug and play smart-card readers used by this computer.
    # SSDP Discovery Service - Enables discovery of UPnP devices on your home network.
    # TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper - Enables support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) service and NetBIOS name resolution. This should not be needed in today's network environment.
    # Telnet - Enables a remote user to log on to this computer and run programs, and supports various TCP/IP Telnet clients.
    # Uninterruptible Power Supply Service - Manages an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) connected to the computer.
    # Universal Plug and Play Device Host - Provides support to host Universal Plug and Play devices
    # Upload Manager - Manages synchronous and asynchronous file transfers between clients and servers on the network.
    # Volume Shadow Copy Service - Manages and implements Volume Shadow Copies used for backup and other purposes.
    # Web Client - Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify non-local files across the Internet.
    # Wireless Zero Configuration - Provides automatic configuration for the 802.11 adapters
    # WMI Performance Adapter - Provides performance library information from WMI HiPerf providers.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Wintask

With Wintask 5 pro it's possible to stop processes by starting up ... if you configure it that is.

So you can decide which processes are allowed (by you) to start up and which not.

This is a quote from the website which can be found HERE

WinTasks 5.0 Professional gives you detailed information about each and every process that is running. It provides you with the tools to terminate and eliminate any program that may disrupt, damage, slowdown or crash your system.
    Maybe this will help you achieve the goal you want.

Just my 2 c$.

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.