Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Hiring Hackers As Security Consultants

2. Any fool can learn to hack a system. And I don't even mean using script kiddie tools. There is plenty of information on the net on how to script exploits for yourself. All it takes is time and effort in the research and learning.
    using this logic the same could be said about anything. The fact of the matter is its not true. there is a certain talent and thought process that goes along with most skill sets. Its like saying I could be the best programmer in the world if i tryed hard. WRONG. I dont have the midset/creativity/patience to do any sort of programming. I can learn theory, and learn the language but I couldnt actually pull off writing a decent program. same goes with network security. people can learn theory and what types of hacks should work, but when it comes down to it they just cant pull it off, atleast not nearly as quickly or cleanly as someone with that thought process.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

using this logic the same could be said about anything. The fact of the matter is its not true. there is a certain talent and thought process that goes along with most skill sets. Its like saying I could be the best programmer in the world if i tryed hard. WRONG. I dont have the midset/creativity/patience to do any sort of programming. I can learn theory, and learn the language but I couldnt actually pull off writing a decent program. same goes with network security. people can learn theory and what types of hacks should work, but when it comes down to it they just cant pull it off, atleast not nearly as quickly or cleanly as someone with that thought process.
    Somewhat gotta agree. IMO it varies on what though because (again IMO) I think when it comes to hacking, any fool can learn how to (even without using script kiddie type methods/tools). In other cases however (such as programming), it's more of a talent and thought process that's needed to code something of value and decency.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Again it comes back to what your definition of hacking is. Breaking into a computer is not hard if you know the vulnerability...finding the vulnerability (tha hacking part) is the hard part.

Being a blackhat hacker is not something to boast about. Criminals do not noticably go down to the local bar and announce their allegiance to the criminal fraternity. There is kudos in having the skill to 'hack' a system and reveal its vulnerabilities - to use that knowledge to exploit them is immoral, unethical, illegal etc.
    Actually talk to any moron who'd push the H word outside the contexts of jokes and insults... and you'd find that these people are the biggest egotist we as the human species could possably have to offer. Look cool in front of one guy and when asked, any random Joe from around the corner would do ANYTHING to match or out-do the status quo.

"unethical" please... tell me your not talking about the crap they feed kids in that faq or manifesto thingie... whatever the hell its called. Its all a load of crap. That thing just further feeds the social disease we call "l33t h4x0r".

Kids read that and instead sparking any true interest or enjoyment with computers... the entire thing obviously back-fired and now we've ended up with a countless number of folks trying to keep an image and useing computers as the tool of choice to do just that. People term every little computer related task now days into a small phrase, "the scene"... and thats what things are now. If it was ever a "learning thing" or "just a hobby" then those days are clearly dead and gone.

And as far as right and wrong yada yada... I see things like this, shifting bits and network traffic. Something so minor, you can't point at it and tell me its wrong or unethical.

Yea, and Rock the 40 OZ!

(Come on Special guy, what song is that? )

I am a recovering Heroin addict on Methadone. Granted, I know a lot about narcotics, in fact. I can identify almost any narcotic in pill form simply by the imprint code. lol.

But would you put me in charge of the narcotics at the pharmacy? Of course not!

Originally posted here by Dr. Psy
    I am a recovering Heroin addict on Methadone. Granted, I know a lot about narcotics, in fact. I can identify almost any narcotic in pill form simply by the imprint code. lol.

But would you put me in charge of the narcotics at the pharmacy? Of course not!
    Watson 387. I just took 4. I'd put you in charge as long as you went in half with me.

Watson 387
    lol even I know thats vicodin. Took the stuff for my knee ack in the day.

ack
    Fin

I would have to say it depends on the situation. If one were to hire someone for the job of maintaining security and they still are engaged in illegal activities, it could become a liability. On the other hand most of the great security guru's out there played both sides of the field at one time or another. People grow up, move on, but you are the one responsible for judging their motives. Is it better to have someone who can look at all angles or a college graduate with no real world experience who can't see all the dimensions? If I weren't an administrator myself I would choose the one who thinks in code not just reads it.