Thread: Have you taken a risk in life??

Have you taken a risk in life??

Greetings all,

I came upon this article and found it to be quite relevant to our day-to-day existence..

To laugh is to risk appearing a fool.
    To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
    To reach out for another is to risk involvement.
    To expose feelings is to risk rejection
    To place your dreams before a crowd is to risk ridicule
    To love is to risk not being loved in return.
    To go forward in the face of overwhelming odds is to risk failure.
    But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
    The person who risks nothing, has nothing, is nothing.
    He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he cannot learn, feel, change, grow.or love.
    Chained by his certitudes, he is a slave.
    He has forfeited his freedom
    Only a person who takes risks is free..

Feel free to add your own and tell me what your opinions are on this..
    Personally I have taken a few risks in my time but some proved to be worth while, and some very costly indeed so…I think the decision to take a risk and make it pay at a specific point in time, will have a great number of factors to be considered because every individual is different.

Remember you can only blame yourself if it does not work out. One always tends to blame it on everyone else accept the one who made the original decision YOU!!

Cheers
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching.
    Do something everyday that scares you
    I'm a great believer in the last one. You never feel more alive than when your neck is on the block. To be scared but in control of the situation is a wonderful thing.

To place your dreams before a crowd is to risk ridicule
    I don't think Martin Luther King will concur on that one

The person who risks nothing, has nothing, is nothing.
    I like this one as I've used it many times climbing up in the jobmarket and taking risks on new jobs.

Or this one it's a classic but I like it : "Live like there's no tommorow".

Or "Carpe Diem" also nice but classic.

There are so many...

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

I like to live by the saying

"if it doesnt kill me...it just pisses me off and I will now make it wish it did kill me" that and

"always stand up after you fall, and keep your chin held high so it looks like you did it on purpose"

love like you have never been hurt
    if it were that easy I would be a happy person.

Im 19 and the hardest lesson i have learned so far is:

You can control most of what goes on in your life. You can control where you work, where you live, how you dress, and how you treat others. You can take risks when you feel they are worth it. In fact the only thing in life you really cannot control is who you love... dont try. Living life leading with your heart is a sure way to feel about the worst pain imaginable...but it is also the only way you will ever feel the best feeling imaginable. Its one of those risks worth taking. Right now I get to feel the worst pain part of this... I am hoping the good part is comming soon.

If that doesnt make sense I blame it on the alcohol.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    This is one of my all-time favorites. It's very inspiring...especially when life / things get really tough.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt
    My personal mottos:

He who cares least....wins (but not with you, Negative )
    Always leave a way out!

I'm not big on risks. The older I get, the more I feel like just leaving the house is a risk. I've been nearly killed three times (accidentally shot, struck by lightning, bad motorcycle accident). Now that I have a family....I don't want risks, I don't need them to give me a rush, etc.

I guess I'm just boring.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

AOs Resident Troll
    I dont think you are boring Mathgirl

Just smart

I love this....

He who cares least....wins
    MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by mathgirl32

I'm not big on risks. The older I get, the more I feel like just leaving the house is a risk. I've been nearly killed three times (accidentally shot, struck by lightning, bad motorcycle accident). Now that I have a family....I don't want risks, I don't need them to give me a rush, etc.

I guess I'm just boring. [/B]
    Nope, I think you're a mature mama. I feel about the same way...why risk what I've worked so damn hard to achieve?
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

[QUOTE] Originally posted here by mathgirl32
    [B]
    Now that I have a family....I don't want risks, I don't need them to give me a rush, etc.
    You and neg are now tasting the finer things in life..That is what makes life worth living.Just when you thought it cant get any better!!Guess what? it just did..My eldest son is now into IT(cisko,network administration )and although it is only being 1and a half years we miss him already ..My youngest now finishing grade 12 is about to leave the nest and start a life of his own so yeah I grew up with them so to speak and believe me it was great!!

Your life changes completely and just being there for them whether it be rugby practise,cricket, or just having a fun filled family day is very much rewarding.It is normal to feel the way you do so don,t let ppl discourage you in any way..You guys are great and i hope you have a great future together.I am now touching the 22year married mark and i still love them all to bits..
    Practise what you preach.

accidentally shot, struck by lightning, bad motorcycle accident
    I wrecked my motorcycle 3 times in 2003. The last one was in front of a Catholic Church around midnight. LOL. As I was laying in the pavement with a smashed hand looking up at the church tower I wondered, just for a twinkle, if there was a message hiding here among the stained street. Of course I didn't listen, since a Jed Clampit pickup truck was heading my way. But after limping home with a box of chicken MACnuggets, I did settle down. A tiny bit.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I recently witnessed a horrible fatal car accident. This lady was legally parked talking to her fiance on the cellphone when this SUV nearly missing me, flew by me at 92 miles/hour...hit her head on, her car flipped in the air, needless to say, instant death. The SUV went on to hit 2 other cars that were parked, ending up in the middle of the road. The 19 years old unlicensed driver, took off running. She parked to talk on the cellphone to avoid the risk of getting into an accident. How tragic and ironic. I lost one of my 9 lives in the process. Still can't get over it.