Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WinXP logon

Hey no offline functionality is needed, moreover a admin need not do this on each and every pc but then this would be done only on those pc's where there's some important data or whatsoever is stored.

Moreover I dont think any admin would be such a fool that he would continue with this step without taking appropriate precautions.

Hey guys dont u think that we are a bit deviating from the topic???

but then this would be done only on those pc's where there's some important data or whatsoever is stored.
    Que?..................you said NO LOCAL ACCESS is required, so why are you wanting to store important things locally rather on the servers?

Moreover I dont think any admin would be such a fool that he would continue with this step without taking appropriate precautions.
    So what precautions do you propose to take? In detail............no B/S

Hey guys dont u think that we are a bit deviating from the topic???
    NO! I am finding it rather difficult to figure out what the topic actually is, other rhan some social engineering

I am calling bullcrap on this one

I have to agree with nihil...looking over previous threads kranthi002 seems to lack an appreciation for those trying to assist him...especially in nihil's case, as nihil has apparently tried to help him in two other threads as well...
    maybe if you ( kranthi002 ) were more forthwith and detailed in your questions, people who are trying to assist you ( FREE OF CHARGE ) would have a better understanding of what you want!

Oh...by the way...save the attitude for the people you are PAYING to help you.

Here'e your sign..

But what if for some security reasons I dont want this option to be seen sothat noone can logon locally (including administrators, wherein the administrators would administer remotely)
    ~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.

The Iceman Cometh
    I have a good idea... just disconnect any keyboards, mice and monitors. Problem solved. No local access. What your doing is not feasible. I understand you want your admins to remotely administer the boxes, but I think you underestimate the need to locally access machines once in a while. Removing any way of accessing the system is the best way to limit access, don't you think?

Hi avdven ,

Exactly. if someone has physical access they can own it.

I firmly believe that the gentleman should revisit his Security Model and his policies. A top down rather than a bottom up approach.

Trying to apply security piecemeal by turning this off and not allowing that is very dangerous as you are certain to leave gaps and it lulls you into a false sense of security.

I have worked with environments where the destop is basically a dumb terminal served by a metaframe system (Citrix). In others the desktops were locked down. In both cases the only maintenance required was to unlplug a defective machine and plug in a new one, as they were all the same. No data was stored locally.

In other cases there is a requirement for local access. Generally to e-mail and word processing. Here, if the server or network went down the employees could be getting on with productive work offline.

I just cannot envisage the overall design or the functionality requirements here?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Anyone see someone trying to hide 'things' from the admin ?

Even if OP IS admin, why does the local access bite so bad ..........
    sometimes you just gotta go in local

I feel the thread will die soon anyway
    Maybe kranthi002, you could compile your next SE attempt in 'Word' and give details. LOTS of details.

It's our experience that those who give lots of detail have nothing to hide and are actually trying to do waht they've said they're trying do ...................

Ah well

thread killer is a coming
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone