Thread: TrendMicro loses 8 Million on Bad Signature

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

TrendMicro loses 8 Million on Bad Signature

http://news.com.com/Trend+glitch+cos...3-5789129.html

Trend glitch costs $8 million
    Published: July 14, 2005, 5:25 PM PDT
    By Joris Evers
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com

The April distribution of a faulty software update cost Trend Micro $8.1 million as of the end of June, the Tokyo-based security software company said on Thursday. The issue has also forced Trend Micro to lower its second-quarter revenue and net income forecasts, the company said in a statement.

The faulty virus pattern file distributed by Trend Micro on April 23 disabled the computers of customers running Windows XP Service Pack 2. The company has said the faulty update was only available for 90 minutes, but it still hit thousands of desktops and angered customers. Trend Micro has lowered its revenue forecast by 2.9 percent and its net income forecast by 16.7 percent as a result of the incident, it said.

All I can say is.....WOW.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I'm curious as to what they consider as factors into the costs they had to deal with. Irrate phone calls? loss of customers? loss of PR?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thats a pretty big hit to take.

I wonder how this will effect the overal av market.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Did TM do any kind of "proofreading" or testing before shooting a faulty update to thousands of people?
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

********** |ceWriterguy
    I wonder how this will effect the overal av market.
    Hopefully it will cause all of the AV companies to pay closer attention to detail and avoid errors like this in the future.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Originally posted here by Kthln01
    Did TM do any kind of "proofreading" or testing before shooting a faulty update to thousands of people?
    It seems very odd that TM didn't test it, it would make one wonder about their priorities.

Sometimes priorities change when people tend to take some things or procedures for granted , they with time tend to devote less time to most regular and repetitive work. But bad things can happen to even most cautious ones, so we can hope that next time this type of error will not happen , atleast from someone working against viruses. :-)
    It\'s all about sense of power.