Thread: Restoring System

Unhappy Restoring System

My son, who has been up working for nearly 30 hours straight, thought his system was infected with trojan.riler.E -- whatever that is -- and decided to try to edit his reg file to get rid of it, based on some info he found at Symantec.

Now, he can't get back into his system, and he said when he tries to reinstall the system, it shuts down and won't let him.

I'm new enough (still) at this to be a danger. What do I tell him to do? Should he try to reinstall in Safe Mode?
    ~~herron

start the computer from "last known good". You can select that from the same screen as safe mode. But if that doesnt work we will need a bit more infor, like the OS.

if it is windows XP and he has nothing of value on the computer just format and reload. if there is stuff of value try installing over the current install, that way it saves all current data. Or do a system repair which will essentially replace all system files but touch nothing else. or pull the drive, and slave it to another computer and grab the data you want/need then format /reinstall.

lots of options on what can be done, but some more info will help us point you to the best option.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AFLAAACKKK!!
    when he tries to reinstall the system
    Is he trying to actually reinstall the OS? Or just restart? Restarting and reinstalling are 2 completely different things...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Thumbs up

He is using Windows XP (Home) -- I use XP Pro. For some reason, he could not use System Restore. It would not let him go farther back than the time of the problem. I imagine it had something to do with whatever editing he was doing in the Registry file. But he has managed to get it operating again (reloaded the op system).

Along the way he caused all sorts of grief with my computer, as well (he's networked to mine for internet access). Somehow, he managed to change all of our access ability. Getting that restored was a pain...I got my system running again, then had to manually reconfigure the router so he could get to the internet again, too.

He's back up and running this morning, and busy re-installing applications. It will (I hope) be the last time he messes with the Registry files. Thank goodness I caught him just before he was about to make similar changes to MY computer!

My computer room is now OFF-LIMITS to him!

Thanks for taking a look and being available to help.
    ~~herron

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I imagine it had something to do with whatever editing he was doing in the Registry file
    : DOH:

I imagine you are right .........................
    If he is 'bright' enough to play with RegEdit, then he is 'bright' enough to put it back as was.
    Which SHOULD solve his problem ............

And once again : after me : DOH:

so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Is he on something? you don't work 30 hours then start messing with your computer's inner workings.

before you do you make sure that:

1. You create a manual restore point
    2. You save the registry files

Be sure to tell your son

Unhappy

definitely! He has other problems now. His power supply shorted (inside the case) and his system literally caught fire and burned the motherboard. Also destroyed the processor and video card while it was at it. Had to replace all the components including the case (melted the on-switch lead) and, since he insists he needs "top" everything, he's out more than a grand. Got it all working again, except for the sound...and I can't help him figure it out.

Besides, I have other problems myself now, just staying logged-in. Trying to find out if there is a problem. My HJT log is posted on another thread.
    ~~herron

Hmmm,

Can you tell us a bit more about the new kit. Does it have onboard sound, or a separate card?

I have come across a lot of problems with XP and sound, almost as bad as modems

I take it you have checked the speakers on another machine?

Make sure the drivers got installed, ive had a lot of problems with XP not installing sound drivers on its own.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AFLAAACKKK!!
    If it's onboard sound your drivers will be located on your mobo drivers disk. After you install the mobo drivers don't forget sound! Or the nic drivers if you have an onboard nic...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools