Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longhorn to Be Christened 'Windows Vista'

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Longhorn to Be Christened 'Windows Vista'

Word of Longhorn's new name began leaking to the Web on Thursday evening. One Windows site discovered that Microsoft registered the WindowsVista.US domain name. Microsoft is expected to make the official announcement of the new name on Friday morning.

Microsoft has relied primarily on date-oriented names for many of its products, although it has shied away from those on occasion.

The last major version of Windows, code-named "Whistler," eventually was christened Windows XP.

Microsoft officials declined to comment on the specifics of a "Longhorn-related" news announcement slated for Friday morning.

Longhorn Beta 1 is widely expected to be unveiled next week. Beta 2 is due in the first half of 2006. Microsoft officials confirmed on Thursday the final release is still on track for the latter half of 2006.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1839724,00.asp
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

asta la 'vista'... baby
    It\'s all about sense of power.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx I need to build a new computer to install it, this one wouldn't even install it right.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

I was getting used to the name and many folks were having such fun with "Longhorn" (i.e. you might be a rednek if you put hay in your case to feed the longhorn, or have the plastic surgeon make your longhorn) Ok they're stupid, however it is early in the morning.

Well forgive this old fool, I know they hired tons of folks to select the new name that would promote the product over many years, but "Vista?" Sounds too preppy or like a refreshing soft drink....

~cheers~

edit: as if Bill needed my approval rotflmao
    Connection refused, try again later.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Haha. I immediately recall that crappy family wagon/van thing Plymouth made in the early 90's that was supposed to make the babyboomers feel good because it wasn't a station wagon OR a van/mini-van, but still had the space.

Yes, it was a piece of crap. Therefore, I think it's a very appropriate name, and Bill spent that marketing money well.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Hah, I was thinking about that horrible I-Mark car commercial from the early 90s where a bunch of Chinese dudes are screaming out animal names (skunk, mosquito, duck...) and then one goes I-Mark and they all get happy. Why can I see this exact scenario at the MS marketing dept.?!

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Microsoft Explains Windows Vista Name
    By Nate Mook, BetaNews
    July 22, 2005, 2:16 PM

With the announcement of Longhorn's official name, Microsoft has left many users asking: Why Windows Vista? Company representatives told BetaNews that Microsoft felt the new version of Windows "deserved a name that was more representative of what it specifically brings to customers."

"Today, we live in a world of 'more' -- more information, more ways to communicate, more things to do, more opportunities -- and at the same time, more responsibilities. Increasingly, we all turn to our PCs to help us with that," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "At the end of the day, what you're after is a way to break through all the clutter to focus on what you want to focus on, what you need to do. What you're trying to get to is your own personal Vista -- whether that is trying to organize photos, or trying to find a file or trying to connect and collaborate with a number of people electronically."
    So the new Windows is all about overlooking things. Got it.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...ame/1122056208

first thing that came to my mind was that old american car, the vista cruiser.

-on another note, I think they could of come up with a better name. Vista? The beta name longhorn even sounded better.

Whats in name
    A skunk by any name shall still stink
    Sorry could not resist

I prefer longhorn over vista, but anyways I cant wait till it comes out, less winxp orientated malware