Thread: USB Modem/Router under FreeBSD

USB Modem/Router under FreeBSD

Hello,

i'm trying to set up my laptop with freeBSD 5.4, for days now but theres a problem, that I can't solve. I want to connect over an USB-Modem/Router to the internet. With Ethernet this worked very well (just plugging it in and it works) but the Ethernet-Interface of the Router is occupied by another machine so I have to connect the laptop with USB. When I do this, I can't get any connection to the net.

Has anyone an idea about what to do?

thx
    And the answer is.... 42

usb modems are not very common and neither is freebsd, I suggest that you read the freebsd handbook section on usb (at the freebsd site there is a singlepage html version so you can search it easily) then go to www.bsdforums.org , sign up and then search for usb modem and _then_ ask your question if you can't find an answer. ***Make sure to include details*** ie. make of modem and what you have tried already. There is a freebsd-usb mailing list to check out also. I am quite familiar with freebsd but unfortunatly i have never used a usb modem before so i haven't a clue.
    Good luck
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

I suggest asking the people who made the "modem" if you can plug in two computers on it. I don't think they were meant to have a connection on Ethernet AND USB. My cousin had this same set up and it didn't work. He Had XP and WIndows 98, so it's not BSD.

As I said its not just a USB-Modem but a "USB-Modem/Router". So it must be possible to connect it with 2 Computers. When I was using XP and Suse, it worked. I could enter the internet with both machines simultanously. But sinc I have FreeBSD running on them, only the one with the Ethernet plug is routed to the Internet.
    And the answer is.... 42

Just Another Geek
    What's the brand and type of the modem? I'm not sure what the status is but there are some usb modems supported..

Oh and how about just buying a cheap switch/hub and connecting both computers to the ethernetport?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I´ve just solved the problem. It wasn`t because of the Modem/Router. I edited the rc.conf file. .There were multiple Devices and the USB Interface and another one were configured with DHCP. I just gave the other Device a nonsens static IP and it worked just fine. Now I can connect to the Modem/Router.
    Thanks for your help anyway. I'm happy not that I didn't buy a switch/hub

bye
    And the answer is.... 42