Thread: Dataretension is no solution

Just Another Geek

Dataretension is no solution

If you live in Europe and want to keep your privacy.. Sign the petition now!

The European ministers of Justice and the European Commission want to keep all telephone and internet traffic data of all 450 million Europeans. If you are concerned about this plan, please sign the petition.

What's wrong with data retention? The proposal to retain traffic data will reveal who has been calling and e-mailing whom, what websites people have visited and even where they were with their mobile phones. Telephone companies and internet services providers would be ordered to store all traffic data of their customers. Police and intelligence agencies in Europe would be granted access the traffic data. Various, competing proposals in Brussels mention retention periods from 6 months up to four years.

Data retention is an invasive tool that interferes with the private lives of all 450 million people in the European Union. Data retention is a policy that expands powers of surveillance in an unprecedented manner. It simultaneously revokes many of the safeguards in European human rights instruments, such as the Data Protection Directives and the European Convention on Human Rights.

Data retention means that governments may interfere with your private life and private communications regardless if you are suspected of a crime or not.
    http://www.dataretentionisnosolution.com/
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Dataretension is no solution

Originally posted here by SirDice
    If you live in Europe and want to keep your privacy.. Sign the petition now!
    Wholeheartedly agree. But that is exactly why I will not be putting my name, country and email address to the petition. For reasons of privacy.
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Re: Re: Dataretension is no solution

Originally posted here by jm459
    Wholeheartedly agree. But that is exactly why I will not be putting my name, country and email address to the petition. For reasons of privacy.
    Oh what tangled webs we...., uh huh huh....
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Well .. I trusst the XS4ALL / Bits Of Freedom and other people behind this website..
    (I also support BOF with a yearly contribution (and have don so for a couple of years))
    So I did sign the petition..

Now.. go sign
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Ah!, so that is why it accepted it when I signed on your behalf

Seriously though folks, can you imagine how much data we are talking about here?...............how much storage? the administrative costs?....................who is going to pay for all this?????? And for what purpose? hey, you profile and target criminals, otherwise you are too damn late...........what these guys seem to be suggesting is "information overload", I just cannot see it working.........a bit like "carnivore"............looked good on paper?

Six months.............possibly...............four years????????????? no way!!!!!

When I watch the news on TV and I see small children starving to death in Niger, and all these fat cat Europr1cks can come up with is this?..................I think that the time has come for a cull?

We are NOT amused.

Not familiar with European law,

but dont they need warrants/legal permission to peer into personal data, especially during a criminal investigation?

This way, it seems, they will already have access to everything they need. It appears to be very intrusive.

Dont really think it will come to fruition once they weigh the costs/benefits.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

Since here we cant even have enough money to do that , can you clarify some questions?

a) They will store (ISP) all e-mails for years, right? but will they store the traffic too? because terrorist can just use 2 private e-mail servers... so it will be kind of useless, dont you think? Or do we think that a well organized group, that can get planes and throw than on buildings will use Yahoo or Hotmail for attack coordination?

b) Phone calls. That can be usefull. However, here our bad guys already solved that survelliance problem. They just steal mobile phones from people and use it. Or clone mobile numbers. Or create PBX with criptographed connections. And im talking about Brazil, and a bunch of Drug Dealers. Can you imagine what kind of resources those terrorists have?

Since i live in a very funny country, i start to think that, instead is a way to get terrorist, is a way to transfer an insane amount of money from the State to private companies.... someone will need pay that bill....
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I work for a German based company. It is illegal for us to track where our employees go on our internal corporate portal. It is illeagal for us to track where our employees go on the internet. It is illegal due to EU and German privacy laws. How can the govn't of the EU expect people to accept this after implementing such strong privacy laws?

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

I work for a German based company. It is illegal for us to ...
    It is illegal due to EU and German privacy laws.
    Just curious.
    It seems you are based in the U.S.
    How do these laws pertain to your work in the U.S., or in offices of the company based in the U.S. ?

i.e. what makes it illegal in the U.S. ?

" And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Good Afternoon,

How do these laws pertain to your work in the U.S., or in offices of the company based in the U.S. ?
    If you can clearly articulate to the proper authority, the need for such action, it is probably not illegal. Also, don’t forget about the use of pre-logon blurbs like: “use is subject to monitoring” and ”no expectation of privacy”.

So aren’t they just trying to legalize on a large scale what they are already doing on a smaller scale by random sample, keywords, etc.? Do you think most of us in here haven’t already been recorded, observed, and profiled if for no other reason – training experiences? Remember all the attention given to and the ridicule JP issued in earlier years? Uncle and his friends have a long memory. He’s gone, but the site isn’t. I’m not concerned about it, however some of you outlaws better run for the hills!!!

~cheers~
    Connection refused, try again later.