Thread: Need Help with POP3 Problem on Exch2003

Need Help with POP3 Problem on Exch2003

I have this one guy outside the office that cannot get his mail via pop 3.
    I have visited this site and attempted to setup a pop3 profile myself.
    When I test the account, it says that it could not logon to the smtp server.

I have two other users that have POP3 outside the office. However, they do not use their email within the office as this guy does. He has a PC at his office at work and one at home. The one at the office uses a Microsoft Exchange Connection and the laptop should be using a POP3 connection.

The only other difference is that this guy uses an email address that is different from his network logon. i.e. John@domain.com and Domain\Doej. The other users use the same email addy as it appears in their logon.

I have changed his primary smtp to match his user logon and that does not work.

It is a very weird problem. I would like to delete his account and add it back, but I fear losing his Exchange mailbox. He has over 2000 contacts and uses his calendar and tasks, both of which are fully booked. All this info is synched with a Palm, so I'd really be messing him up if I fubared it just trying something. This is really making me look like an idiot. Can anyone help me to look less stupid?
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

Firstly, SMTP and POP3 aren't one and the same. POP3 is used for receiving mail and SMTP is used to send it. I would venture to guess that your SMTP server is not an open relay and only allows connects from certain IPs or IP ranges, and this is probably the issue there. Is he just trying to pop his mail over the internet or is there a VPN used here? What program is he poping his mail with?

Yesh. I understand that.
    The system will not let him use his username and password to logon to the mail server.
    We are doing it over the web.
    I can access other accounts via pop3 from that same computer.
    Using Outlook 2003
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

I would start by checking AD U&C and look at his user accounts properies and go to the exchange features tab and make sure POP3 is enabled.

Just a thought but have you checked if the server requires Secure Password Authentication? Or if it need a SSL?

I checked the secure password and the pop3 enabled and both are correct.
    The only difference I have found between the accounts that can get their mail via pop3 and this one that cannot is the username and mail address do not match. i.e. All the accounts that function are like last name and first initial for logon and the same for the mail account associated with that logon account. this guy has his first name for his mail account associated with the logon of his last name and first initial.

AOs Resident Troll
    Sorry if I am not understanding...

When at home...is he trying to send mail through your SMTP server or his ISPs SMTP server???

In outlook on the mail account you have the option using more settings and my SMTP requires authentication.

There you would put his username and password which may differ from the POP3 username and password

ML>edited for spelling ...as usuall
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer