Thread: Plane hit by Lightning shot

Plane hit by Lightning shot

Now this is a good reason to NOT carry any metal objects on airplanes

ZAP !

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/ltg/plane_japan.php
    Plane struck by lightning imagery

now that was truly a charged trip for passengers, :-), i think now this airline will use it as promo for "great" travel bonus, he he he
    It\'s all about sense of power.

Regal Making Handler
    Actualy everything I have ever read about aircraft says that lightning is nothing to worry about. It travels around the aircraft skin and not though the plane.

Cloads however can be a problem. An old teacher I had at school flew lancasters during WW2, told us of a friend of his flying a Sunderland flying boat, being sucked into a cumulou nimbus cload at 10,000 feet and being spat out the top at 50,000 feet a few seconds later.
    When he landed every inch of the aircraft had been bent.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Planes get hit by lightning almost constantly... It's not out of the ordinary.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Hi The Grunt,

Yes... I know it's not unusual...and to the best of my knowledge no one has ever gotten hurt by it...but this is the first time I've actually seen footage of it happening...that's why I thought it would be interesting to post.

You hear about it happening, but footage like this is rare...just like people get hit by lightning but you don't often get a chance to see it.

Eg

Unusual or not, but you are right, this was indeed one good footage to look at.
    It\'s all about sense of power.

rider_royal: I doubt the people aboard wouldn't have thought that.
    Space For Rent.. =]

If you have ever flown over a t storm your plane was probably hit by lightning and you didn't even know it.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.