Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cd burner

cd burner

Does anyone know of any way to find out if a cd burner is fried or if there is a program that will do that for you?
    thanks
    No good deed goes unpunished.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    If, when you start a CD burn, and it doesn't work, it is generally assumed that it is NOT a good sign ...........

Is that what you needed ?

Do you have a particular issue ?
    more details please :

OS
    CD burner - type / age / usage
    is the fault intermittant, or is it a constant ?
    how long has it been going on ?
    does this fault start, coincide with a new App being loaded ?
    is CD burner in a SOHO environment - networked ?
    are you the sole user - admin ?

You know the drill
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi foxyloxley the cd burner is an older model that came with the computer a pentium 3 128 ram 550 mhz, the burner is a IDE-CD R/RW 4x4x24 Multiread using roxio 6 software it has been used a fair amount and I am the only one who uses it. It started a while back taking 3 tries to burn and now I can not do my back up burning for my programs as for soho I am sorry but I have no idea what that is, no network only home business use . I tried uninstalling the burner and software and reinstalling but no go. When doing up the files for burning every thing seems fine it shows the cd to be burnt to and the little orange light comes on when burning but when I check the cd it shows that it is blank. I also thought it might be the new Roxio software but uninstalling that and reinstalling the software that came with the burner did not work. Plus I can still put in software cds and it reads it no problem.

Old Fart
    you can head over to www.cdfreaks.com , get a flashing tool and see if flashing your firmware resolves the problem. If that doesn't help, it's probably fried.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    taking 3 tries to burn
    the little orange light comes on when burning but when I check the cd it shows that it is blank
    I can still put in software cds and it reads it
    Doesn't look good does it ............
    I'm afraid that, from this, I'd HAVE to advise - buy a NEW one .........

CD burners are real cheap nowadays. The cost of that against your time and effort, and you'll STILL need to replace it soon anyway........

Pax
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I've had this problem a few years back before I went DvD. I used Roxio on a Memorex-Rom and it stalled on CD-RWs but burnt fine on CD-Rs. I think age might be a problem. Try a CD-R and a CD-RW. I'd also run a EyE cleaner/duster CD through it.

Thanks folks I have tried both cdr and cdrw same thing no data burned as for cleaning thats the first thing I did, I was hoping it wasnt fired but deep down I kinda figured it might be, oh well now I will have to get a new one. I figured if there was a way to check it you folks would know how. Thanks for your input.

May I make a suggestion? Behold the LG GSA-4163B. I own one of these, and I'll take the Pepsi challenge with this burner against any other, against all measures any day of the week. Cost affective it is.

you better buy a new one... choose "external"

Banned
    Originally posted here by Jeckgo
    you better buy a new one... choose "external"
    External? You mean on USB or Firewire? I myself have a few of those. An old CD-rewriter from Iomega and a more recent DVD-rewriter from some other brand. I must say that they work reasonable well, but if you have multiple hubs and a lot of other USB devices in use, these external devices tend to get a lot of buffer underruns/overruns, simply because the USB device runs out of bandwidth.
    I happen to also have a TV card on USB. Burning a CD with the CD burner was a bit troublesome if I was also watching TV. Burning a DVD while watching TV was near-impossible, though. Thus I couldn't watch TV while burning a DVD. So I chose a better option and bought an internal DVD rewriter. And now I don't have this USB bandwidth problem anymore.

External devices are quite fun but there is a limit to the number of devices that you can use at the same time. The biggest limit is the bandwidth of the USB, which becomes pretty small after you've connected half a dozen USB devices or more.