Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some of us have it easy

Frustrated Mad Scientist

Some of us have it easy

I just spoke with a friend of mine via email today. He's in the army and has been for about 10 years He's a Corporal with the Black Watch now and a sniper something which has been a running joke between us, he was the worst shot I'd even seen when we were both in the Air Cadets.

I don't hear from him often and I've not spoken to him face to face for a few years.

He not long back from Iraq and might be shipping out to Afganistan soon. He was telling me that he lost most of his squad in a suicide bomb attack and he only survived due to being called away a couple of minutes before they hit. Just after that his Warrior APC was hit by an IED and the driver killed in front of him. He said the warrior was blown 60 feet of the road and wrecked.

He used to be a quirky guy, silly funny, daft jokes etc. I can definitely read the change in him in the way he wrote.

He's not complaining about going to Afganistan, I think he's learned to shoot straight and he's looking to even things up.

We've got it pretty easy really.

He could've have it it easy too but he choose to go to the army, air-force, whatever. I myself got accepted in the Marines, but never got around to it, maybe next year
    O.G at A.O

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    He doesn't complaint about it, I just noticed a change in him this time. Normally he'd be cracking jokes about knobbing camels and going to brothels. This time he was taking about his mates getting killed. Doesn't happen in an office (unless someone goes postal).

Originally posted here by Aspman
    He doesn't complaint about it, I just noticed a change in him this time. Normally he'd be cracking jokes about knobbing camels and going to brothels. This time he was taking about his mates getting killed. Doesn't happen in an office (unless someone goes postal).
    Doesn't happen in the military either unless you go to war over nothing... There hasn't been a "War with Reason" (A war that the US was justified in entering into) in a very long time...

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    My friends in 2Para all changed after the Falklands [old fart time ]
    no more silly times
    LOTS of those 1000 yard stares

and this was something they COULDN'T share with those who hadn't been there.
    and not all of them came back

your friend will probably have sleep disorder and a 'fear' of some small inconsequential things, he will get over it, but it takes time, time and an understanding drinking buddy, who will let him blow off steam, and spout the same old stories time after time ..............

luck to you and your friend

Pax

[edit]
    Doesn't happen in the military either
    training in the military kills just as easy as in combat ........
    train hard - fight easy

old soldiers never die - just young ones
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    My cousin was in Iraq but he was sent home because he got his left leg blown off by an IED he doenst complain about it at all.... not once have i heard him whine about it im sure it sucks but he joined and went over there to serve his country with honor. people debate all the time whether this has been worth it or not but to me that doesnt matter what matters to me is if you start something you finish it. and maybe your friend is just starting to feel a little more mortal seeing alot of his mates die. but i do wish him and his friends luck and i hope they get home safe. anyway thats my 2 cents.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Banned
    Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    He could've have it it easy too but he choose to go to the army, air-force, whatever. I myself got accepted in the Marines, but never got around to it, maybe next year
    Plus dont!

Dont fight anybodys silly war.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Yeh, I am planning on joining the military next year as well... Don't know what branch yet... Thing is I'm joining because I really have nothing to look forward to after high school... I doubt I'm going to college (personal ****)... So it looks like I'll be fighting bush's war as well... even though I don't agree with the Iraq war...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Doesn't happen in the military either unless you go to war over nothing... There hasn't been a "War with Reason" (A war that the US was justified in entering into) in a very long time...
    Hardly. Just because your enemy isn't gassing millions of Jews doesn't mean you arn't accomplishing something. The majority of conflicts the US has been engaged in were because it was asked to because that soveriegn power was in a mess that it was incapable of dealing with alone. If the other higher powers of the world had a shred of the generosity, responsiblity, and dedication that the USA has, then the world wouldn't have half of the problems it faces today.

It amazes me how short memories are.

I was raised almost soley on military bases stationed overseas. My father was a Marine for 29 years and just retired from it this June. While the Air Force has the most perks and least duties & danger, I'd recommend the Marine Corps to anyone. Sure, it's the toughest and has the least benefits, but you will become more of a man than you could hope to be. There is a pride and sense of brotherhood that I haven't really seen among any of the other branches. Air Force turns people into *****s, Navy makes you lazy, and Army seems to make most of its soldiers indifferent and apathetic. I've seen soldiers and airmen burn the flag, but I've never once witnessed a marine that wasn't ready to serve to his fullest ability or be ashamed of it.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

Originally posted here by Evil Moo
    If the other higher powers of the world had a shred of the generosity, responsiblity, and dedication that the USA has, then the world wouldn't have half of the problems it faces today.
    Hey Hey,

All I can say is I'm glad that you have a sense of humour still... That's the biggest piece of BS that I've heard in a long, long time... The US is anything but generous... were they not the last nation to agree to provide relief to Africa (did they even in the end).. .and weren't they offering the least mount based on their GDP (GNP.. whatever numbers they were basing it off of).. As far as responsibility... has Bush stepped forward and accepted responsibility for the numerous people that have been killed overseas needlessly... and I'm not talking about the Americans... most of them died because what goes around comes around... I'm talking about natives to the countries that the US so generously bombs... As for dedication... you're right.. the US is full of that... dedication to carry on a War that isn't even a war... it's an excuse to execute terrorist actions on foreign nations without fear of retribution.. How about the dedication to fullfilling their responsibility of killing a generous number of innocent civilians... because they've definately done that too... You're right.. the US is such a great nation.... If it disappeared off the face of the earth, there'd be a slight hiccup and we'd carry on without notice... well I guess we would notice... more people would live... I guess that's the price we pay.... The US is helping us deal with over population.... Do you guys have Soylent Green down there as a product yet?

Peace,
    HT