Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10Mbps to 100Mbps.... HUH?!

Post 10Mbps to 100Mbps.... HUH?!

I am now having another issue with a problem that was resovled (thanks to all you great AO members out there) through a post I made earlier this week. I'm calling on your great wisdom again.
    I recently had the integrated Ethernet port go out on one of my machines, I had a couple of extra Ethernet NICs laying around so I threw it in and disabled the... well... disabled one... seemed to fix the problem. Now, although the Internet seems to run fine, I have some application that connect to the Mainframe that run very slow from that computer.
    I'll give you all the info I have now: XP SP2, I tried a RealTek and NetGear 10/100 NICs, with the latest drivers.
    This is something else I don't understand... When I put the NIC in another comp, it runs at 100Mbps. When I put it in the other, it shows it running at 10Mbps. What?!
    I don't understand!

Do you have it plugged into a hub or a switch?

If the other side of the line is only operating at 10Mbps, then thats all you're going to get.

Could be that the other computer is connected to a different switch?

Try changing hub/switch ports and see if that makes a difference.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Yeah... You were correct. The reason it was running at 10M was because it was going through the hub. I changed it to the switch and it is now running at 100M. Problem sovled?? NO! I thought that the applications were being slowed down because it said it was running at 10, but when I switched to the switch at 100Mbps the application was still running extremely slow.
    So, I guess it doesn't matter if it's running at 10 or 100. Something else is causing this particular application to run very slow. Any ideas? I forgot to mention earlier... each computer is Telneting in the Mainframe. Does that help?

This is a link to the old post that might help.

Are you saying that the application that is running slow is run over telnet, and that its fine on other machines?

What app do you use to telnet with?

Correct, the app is running over telnet, and it's running fine on all over computers.

I'm not sure what you mean by the app I use to telnet with. Could you clarify a little? After all, I am a newbie.

AOs Resident Troll
    Do the other machines use telnet too??

Do you have something monitoring you connections on your WS??

Other network apps??

try a different cable...maybe a break or kink?

is your NIC the same brand as everyone elses?

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    Do the other machines use telnet too??
    Do you have something monitoring you connections on your WS??
    Other network apps??
    try a different cable...maybe a break or kink?
    is your NIC the same brand as everyone elses?
    MLF
    Yes, all other computers use telnet.
    Excuse my ignorance... What's my "WS"?
    It's the only network app running on this computer.
    I tried three different brands of NICs.
    I'll go try a different cable right now.
    Thanks

AOs Resident Troll
    WS=Work Station

MLF

I just look up the status of the connection manually. No special software or monitor.

AOs Resident Troll
    Assuming this is a MS machine...

I have seen communication issues when machines are at different service pack levels??

Maybe when you installed the NIC it over wrote some dll...try removing and reinstalling TCP\IP...and then Service pack the machine again....

Used to work with NT....

MLF