Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What to buy for EUR 4k?

Banned
    Hi [strike]Andrea[/strike] Aspman,

It's a bit of both, actually. My current system is unable to handle more than 512 MB of RAM. It was a limitation that I wasn't aware of when I bought it 5 years ago. (Back then I only had 256 MB.) But when I'm using Delphi 2005 on my system then it becomes pretty hungry for all the resources I have. The same with Visual Studio. It would be better if I had at least 1 GB of RAM in my system. Of course, at 800 MHz it isn't really fast either for the most modern applications.
    If I was interested in games then I could forget buying the latest games anyway. For most of them, my system is already below the minimum requirements. It took 5 years for this to happen but now it has happened. Then again, if I wanted to play games, I'd buy an X-Box or PlayStation and don't waste my more expensive computer resources on that. :D
    But still, my current system is still very well able to keep up with most things anyway. It will still be useful for my studies for the next two, three years. After that, I guess it will need a rollator... ;)

Btw, I already have a laptop too. About 4 years old, a Sony Vaio with 256 MB RAM, Windows XP and a 10 inch screen. (1024x768) It's what I use to test some of my client-server or webserver applications. :D I also have a HP iPaq with about 3 GB (!) of memory. Well, I could consider a carkit for my mobile phone but that thing is as old as my laptop. (It came for "free" with my laptop.) Maybe I should just invest in a newer mobile phone instead. :D

Maybe just save it for when I get married. That's an option here in the Netherlands. With EUR 4k extra, the party could be a bit bigger. :)

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    If it's not doing what you need then it probably is time to move up.

I would suggest you get a basic case (Antec do good cases with good PSUs cheap, not flashy but solid).

Pick your processor type, P4 or Athlon64 (939). Get a mid range board from one of the manufacturers I mentioned. Pic your peripherals or carry them over from your old box. Get memory from someone good. The brands I mentioned are good but don't bother with the gamer l33t ****.
    Get your CPU OEM and add a good quiet cpu cooler. Get your software OEM at the same time. Some 120mm fans if they'll fit.

Get a dual DVI gfx card you'll probably want to add a second monitor eventually. Get a good DVI 17" tft. 19" look nice but don't generally run a higher resolution than a 17.

Spend money on a mouse and keyboard coz you'll use them lots. Logitec laser mice look good.

Strip down the old machine and flog the parts on Ebay.

Shouldn't cost much you'll have change to get pissed at the reception. Jobs-a-goodun.

An evening invite is fine for me