Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Katerina: So........

^ and that was two weeks ago!
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

UN offers Help

Reuter

United Nations Undersecretary-General Jan Egeland, who oversaw relief efforts after the Indian Ocean tsunami in December 2004, offered Washington U.N. assistance in a formal letter to new U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton.

"The United Nations stands ready to help with any kind of disaster expertise that might be required ... in full recognition that the United States is the country in the world that possesses the greatest civilian and military search and rescue and recovery assets themselves," Egeland told Reuters in an interview.

He said U.S. officials had thanked the U.N. for its offer, but had not requested any assistance so far.

Egeland called Katrina one of "the largest, most destructive natural disasters ever."

Germany Offers Help

Bloomberg
    German Foreign Minister Joschka offered assistance to the U.S. government in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which has caused devastation on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

``The federal government is prepared to give any assistance or support to bring this terrible natural disaster and its effects under control,'' Fischer said in an e-mailed statement today, without elaborating on the offer.
    Russia Offers Help

Source
    Russia is ready to assist the United States in dealing with the damage caused by hurricane Katrina, which has taken 68 lives so far and left behind a tremendous amount of devastation, Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a message to U.S. President George Bush Tuesday.

"Russia deeply sympathizes with Americans, who faced a disaster of such a colossal scale, and is ready to offer necessary assistance," Putin said.

Australian, New Zealand Offers Help

AP
    SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australia is sending sympathy and an offer of help for the U-S Gulf Coast in its recovery from Hurricane Katrina.

For starters, it's sending two emergency management experts who advised Indonesian officials in the aftermath of last year's
    tsunami disaster. Prime Minister John Howard, in a personal message to President Bush, expresses what he says is the concern of all Australians for those who've lost so much because of "terrible natural disaster."

Prime Minister Helen Clark of New Zealand has also sent condolences and notes her country's willingness to help. She says the harm the storm has caused so many people is shocking.
    The list is much much Bigger than this .........Virtually the whole International community offers help, prayers ......

Associated Press

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - For Nimal Premasiri, televised images of water surging into New Orleans triggered painful memories. He lost his wife and daughter just eight months ago when waves "big as elephants" crashed into a packed commuter train in Sri Lanka.

"God has made us equals in birth, life and death," Premasiri, 51, said Wednesday.

Though the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami was far more deadly than the disaster caused by Hurricane Katrina, many in Asian nations hardest hit by the killer waves — from Indonesia to Thailand and Sri Lanka — felt acute sympathy with Katrina's victims.

The hurricane flooded large parts of New Orleans and several other areas along the Gulf Coast, killing hundreds. Two levees also broke in New Orleans, spilling water into the streets and swamping the below-sea-level city.

Raju Danny, 26, who lost his wife to raging tsunami torrents in Indonesia, said he "felt tears welling up when I saw that so many people had died."

"I would like to help, but all I have is my prayers," the waiter said during a break from serving rice and fried chicken to customers in the seaside town of Banda Aceh.

More than 200,000 people were killed or missing after the tsunami, inspiring a massive international emergency response and a huge worldwide fund-raising drive.

People in Indonesia's Aceh province, which lost a staggering 130,000 people, recalled in particular the massive humanitarian effort undertaken by the U.S. military following the disaster.

Within days, U.S. choppers were dropping off water and emergency supplies to stranded villagers and collecting injured survivors.

"America helped us a lot, and they were genuine too," said Reza Saputra, a 19-year-old student. "One of their helicopters even crashed here."

In Sri Lanka, where the tsunami killed 31,000 and left tens of thousands homeless, several people also said pictures of the devastation caused by Katrina brought back vivid memories.

"When I see the images from Katrina, I can easily identify," said Chulie de Silva, a
    World Bank executive who lost her brother in the tsunami. "We were just (like) them on Dec. 26. At least they had warning; we had none."

"The lives of men, women, children were snuffed out in a few seconds," she said, recalling the look of agony on people's faces as the waves swept them away, and later, the stench of death.

"My brother lay on his back, no shirt, his handsome face peaceful," she said. "I pray and hope not many sisters" in the United States will suffer in the same way.

Many in India, where some 10,700 people died, also felt the pain caused by events unfolding a half a world away, said Barry Mackey, regional program manager in New Delhi for Habitat for Humanity, an international housing charity based in Americus, Ga.

"The people here are definitely watching news of Katrina, and since they had to respond to the tsunami just last year, they do sympathize with Katrina's victims," he said, predicting their sorrow would only magnify as the real death toll emerged.

But he said he did not think the disaster would mean a loss of promised funds for tsunami reconstruction in the island nation.

"We have loyal donors and the program will not suffer," he said.

Thailand saw some 7,000 dead or missing, including many foreign vacationers.

Yowalak Thiarachow, the country's program manager for the British humanitarian agency Oxfam, said relief workers and residents "saw the pictures of people being evacuated (in New Orleans) and we couldn't believe our eyes."

Though many here see the United States as more advanced, the devastation in New Orleans "shows Thai people and Americans are in the same boat," she said.

Still, Thiarachow noted, U.S. authorities are more capable when it comes to providing emergency assistance, so many victims will get needed help.

Prattana Nuntaratpun, who works for a Thai TV station, she had not heard of any of the station's viewers calling in to donate or write letters to people affected by Katrina.

"Thai people wouldn't react that way. It's too far from us," she said. "People probably aren't thinking as far as Katrina," she said.

Peace

Originally posted here by Aspman
    I liked the guide to saving gas on that link. Lots of useful tips but it doesn't say "get rid of the 3 ton, 6 wheeled, V8 pickup".
    `---' `--- ---'-------'-------'
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    |Getting Free Gas by: sodium |
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Intro
    So, you just got back from ripping off some pay
    phones? Maby you were out trashing the local telco trying to
    find par's for your ohki? Well all that phreak'n comes with
    a price, your going to have to get some gas for your fly
    ride. You might ask:

Mr. Sodium lord of the telco, how am i gona snag some free gas?

The Oasis System [superamerica/speedway]

Well first, your going to have to steal an id. This
    is easyer than fuXX0ring that hoe on the street corner.
    All you have to do is find someone thats drunk, or stoned
    and rip them off. Easy enough? Your going to have to find a
    gas station that has those "on pump credit card readers".

Usualy when you put a regular card into the credit
    card reader the oasis system will show "CARD" on the
    register display. The CSR's do not hear a beeping sound or
    anything. This works to our advantage because:

1) Thay dont know we are out there.
    CSR's hate to be in the register area looking at
    the lot so use this to your advantage. Also, 3rd
    shift sucks ass for these people, thay might be
    in the back working on **** (good for you).
    Remember CSR's will come running to the registers
    if thay hear a beeping sound!!

2) When your "credit card" is pulled out, the CARD
    sign will just dissapair. Thay will never know your
    there if the CSR isnt by the registers.

3) CSR's love it when people pay with cards, thay
    might be by the register at the time you drive up
    and leave the area cause "He's paying with a card,
    its not like hes going to drive off."

Now, we all know credit cards and drivers licences are
    two different things right? Well people in ohio are going to
    love this, cause those driver's licences and id's that have the
    mag strip's on them.... can be used to get free gas.

All you have to do is insert your card into the reader,
    dont take it out like it says to. The pump at this point will
    malfunction and will start pumping free gas. (remember to select
    your octane). After your tank is nice and full. Stop pumping
    the gas, and set the pump down on the ground.

At this point, it is good that you have that drunk guys
    licence. Cause if you take the card out of the reader, the
    register is going to start beeping (alerting the CSR that you
    have to pay for your gas). To give you a better idea how this methoid
    works.. heres an inside memo that i got by trashing a
    local gas station:

E365 at sa@STORE on 07/07/98 04:34:00 PM

To: jerry l crowe, charles w young iii, derek j perbles
    cc:
    Subject: ATTEMPTED DRIVE-OFF

SIR,
    ON TUE. 07-07-98 A SUBJECT PULLED TO PUMP # 5 AND
    PUT A CARD INTO THE CREDIT CARD READER AND STARTED TO
    PUMP GAS. THE OASIS SYSTEM SHOWED CARD ON THE
    REGISTERS AND THE PUMP WAS AUTOMATICALLY ACTIVATED AS
    WITH A CREDIT CARD.
    AFTER PUMPING $17.00 IN GAS THE SUBJECT LAID THE
    NOZZEL ON THE GROUND AND JUMPED INTO THE VEHICLE AND
    DROVE-OFF. THE CSR'S NOTICED THIS AND WENT OUT TO
    HANG-UP THE NOZZLE. WHEN SHE HUNG-UP THE NOZZLE SHE
    FOUND THE CARD STILL IN THE CREDIT CARD READER. WHEN
    SHE PULLED THIS OUT SHE FOUND THAT IT WAS THE SUBJECTS
    DRIVERS LICENCE. ( THIS IS THE NEW OHIO DRIVERS
    LICENSE WITH THE MAGNETIC STRIP ON IT.) SHE THEN CAME
    BACK IN THE STORE AND NOTIFIED THE MANAGER AND THE
    DAYTON POLICE DEPT. WAS CALLED.
    SHORTLY AFTER CALLING THE DAYTON P.D. THE
    SUBJECT RETURNED TO THE STORE AND HAD HIS FRIEND CHECK
    THE PUMP FOR HIS LICENCE AND THEN HE CAME INTO THE
    STORE FOR IT. WHEN HE WAS TOLD THAT HE COULD HAVE HIS
    DRIVERS LICENSE WHEN HE PAYED FOR THE GAS, HE STARTED
    TO AGRUE THAT HE HAD PAID FOR THE GAS ON HIS CREDIT
    CARD, HE WAS ADVISED THAT HE HAD NOT AND THAT HE COULD
    WAIT FOR THE POLICE DEPT. AND TALK TO THEM. AT THIS
    TIME THE DRIVER CAME INTO THE STORE AND PAYED FOR THE
    GAS.
    APPARENTLY THE SYSTEM READ SOMETHING ON THE
    DRIVERS LICENSE STRIP AND AS LONG AS IT WAS LEFT IN
    THE READER ALLOWED HIM TO PUMP GAS. BUT AS SOON AS THE
    LICENSE WAS REMOVED FROM THE READER THE PURCHASE WENT
    FROM CARD ON THE REGISTER TO 17.00.
    IT APPEARS TO ME THAT SOMEONE HAS FOUND A WAY TO
    EITHER FOOL, BY-PASS, OR CONFUSE THE SYSTEM WITH THE
    NEW OHIO STATE DRIVERS LICENSE. THE CSR'S DID NOT
    AUTHORIZE THE PUMP, IT WAS AUTOMATICLLY AUTHORIZED
    LAKE A NORMAL CREDIT CARD TRANSACTION AT THE PUMP AND
    APPEARED THAT WAY ON THE REGISTER. OR THERE IS A FLAW
    IN THE SYSTEM AT THIS STORE.
    THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT AFTER THE DRIVERS
    LICENSE WAS REMOVED FROM THE READER IT SAID ( GENERIC
    BIOS V 51.1.6 ) AND WE HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO CLEAR THIS
    OR USE THE CARD READER ON THIS PUMP.
    SUBMITTED FOR YOUR INFORMATION AND FUTHER
    INVESTIGATION.

RESPECTFULLY,
    THOMAS D. TRAINER
    MANAGER STORE # 5365

Well apparently it wasnt only there store
    that had a flaw in the system. This inside memo had
    a 20 store fowarding list, and was passed around the
    hole country.

The Old Skool Art of Driveing Off

How hard is just driveing off? Well if you dont
    want to get caught, its involves alot. First, your going
    to have to get a location thats open 24/7 and has about
    2 people every shift (pretty understaffed hu?). These
    are usualy Circle K's or Clark's. Usualy these places
    get alot of bussness durring 2nd shift, when everyone
    is getting off from work. You ether want to drive off
    at night when the people are 1/2 asleep and cleaning.
    Or, during the day when the pumps are packed. Personaly
    i recommend durring the day for 2 reasons. One, the
    people working are getting hit with a ton of people
    and arent going to be able to run after your fly ride
    ripp'n off some gas. And two, people on 2nd shift come
    and go all the time. So if you drive off one week and
    the little bastard working inside is out to get you,
    dont worry. His ass will be out the door next week.
    Driveing off takes some prepration. Make sure
    you have atleast one other person with you. If your car
    has t-tops or is a convertable. Take them off or put
    da **** down. This makes it harder for you to be
    identifyed. When you pull up to the gas station.
    Goto the pump farthest from the store, and nearest to
    the exits. Theres nothing that sucks more, that trying
    to drive off and haveing to wait to get out of the
    parking lot. When you are filling up your Fly Ride.
    Get your bro to move to the drivers site and open
    the backdoor for you a little. When your done filling
    up your tank look around and see if theres anyone
    watching your ass from the inside. If there
    busy. Jump into the back seat and tell your friend to
    floor it. If the CSR's are watching you from the
    inside, take this time to wash your windows. Or do other
    things to make them stop watching you.

Outro

Well thats about it, my first text for The MOB.
    Hope you all find it interesting. Maybe it will save you
    all some money or something.
    Remember its not right to steal, the goverment
    hates to compete.

-sodium-
    sodium@omega2.net

sounds good, except if the gas station has cameras ;(
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

Yes, that's my CC number! 576869746568617's Avatar
    You know, It sucks about New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. To make matters worse, with most of us being in Iraq, there aren't even enough National Guard soldiers left in MS to help with relief efforts. To make matters worse, there are alot of guys from the coast that don't have a home to come home to...they lost everything.

Besides the sheer loss of life from Katrina, that sucks the most. They take it in stride though.

I know one guy fom New Orleans here, and I asked him about his family (he was going home on emergency leave) and he said that they we're fine but his house was destroyed. So I said "What are you doing to do?"

His response: "Well, I think I might scuba dive in the French Quarter!"

Can you believe that...he just lost everything, and he's cracking jokes!
    Windows 9x: n. A collection of 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor. Written by a 2 bit company that can\'t stand 1 bit of competition.

Hey that picture of the guy sitting out there waiting to kill a thief. Ummmmmmmmm.... when you see that type of ****, that's when you need martial law!

It's all about how you were raised.

Guy kills his sister over a bag of ice.
    Women being raped.

Ahhhh... the caveman logic, the worst outcrop of herd life and the ghetto, a true plague-spot of civilization. Too many puppies as primus would say.

From the news.......... churches are going to be feeding and supplying shelter to the majority of the homeless.

off topic: No point in reading what country pledged what, only what they have given.

For those in the area who are able and interested, Craigslist and moveon.org are letting people list their houses for evacuess to stay in.

My husband and I have been in this situation before...they tell you to get out, but where do you go, and how do you pay for it? Not all families are able to indefinately afford a hotel room.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Deb's right - most aren't. Remember they have no access to their bank accounts, so they're either living on what cash they have, or their credit cards, and that's it.

In our area: Refugees are also now being offered part time employment to help them get through the cleanup process and still afford to live. Work is being done through state legislature to permit those with out of state professional licenses (like Dr's, Lawyers, Nurses, Paramedics, etc) to work temporarily in this state on their out of state license. If you live here in TX and haven't heard of this yet, contact your state rep asap and add your support for such a bill!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

And when you're living in a hotel and eating every meal out, every snack, every drink, cash and credit cards run out pretty damn fast. Especially if you had to leave most of your clothes and personal belongings behind.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Originally posted here by Agent_Steal
    You know what really pissed me off though.. I was watching the news and they where inteviewing people who were robbing houses and whatnot ... The reporter was like dont you see anything wrong with what your doing ... The guy was like well the cops haven't said anything so it's ok and well who cares ... I am like there's people who need help and the first damn thing on your mind is to go and rob someones home or store ???

What the hell is wrong with people ???

My prayers will be with those people hopefully things dont becoming any worse ...
    I was watching a story on CNN that I found a bit amusing. CNN reporters stop these two teenagers that had just finished robbing a store; they said the police officers stopped them and took their sneakers (the showed their feet were bare) so they decided to get a new pair of sneakers. My question is the following: Why would the police office take a teenagers sneakers?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!