Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Katerina: So........

[H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Is there ANY chance that NO will survive ????
    with THAT much water, the ground will be logged even when it's pumped out .........

Wouldn't it be easier to re-build the city elsewhere ? on HIGHER ground ?

by elsewhere, I don't mean Michigan just a few miles inland ............

and just how long ARE the estimates till the levees are 'repaired' ??
    because they can't even BEGIN to pump till then ..........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    Is there ANY chance that NO will survive ????
    with THAT much water, the ground will be logged even when it's pumped out .........

Wouldn't it be easier to re-build the city elsewhere ? on HIGHER ground ?

by elsewhere, I don't mean Michigan just a few miles inland ............

and just how long ARE the estimates till the levees are 'repaired' ??
    because they can't even BEGIN to pump till then ..........
    Everyone wants beach front property so it will probably be built in the same spot
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Everyone wants beach front property
    there's beach FRONT, and then there's BEACH
    it surely cannot be that important to rebuild the civilian housing there again ???

maybe the industrial / military infrastructures, but nothing else.
    And who pays for the re-build anyway ???

is that what the disaster relief funding is for ???
    will you get your home re-built whether you were insured or not ??

IF you get re-built when you had NO insurance, what do those who DID have insurance getting out of the deal ??

wouldn't that be the death knell of the insurance business ???
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hmmm,

Shouldn't be too difficult Foxy~ ?

1. A basic value of "x" is assigned from relief.
    2. If you are not insured you get "x"
    3. If you are insured you get your insurance and a top-up to "x" if required, but no more than a top-up (that will teach you not to underinsure)
    4. If you are a landlord you get bugger all except your insurance (you are a business, and should be properly insured?)

I do not see it as the duty of the State to provide more than basic essentials?

Anyway, a fancy house that survived is probably only worth about 20% of its previous value now? and try to insure the bloody thing

Well the projects (government housing) should be built further north or in Baton Rouge and they'll need to build probably three times as many now. And I don't agree with close proximity housing like that. I think it only promotes crime, pity parties, low self-esteem, no hope, breeding ground etc....

Now most of the coastal areas of LA are made of sand-mud, methane mud, southern pines(where it's dry), live oaks(where it's dry), cypress trees(where iit's wet), swamps, and a **** load of saw grass and bayous. That's where the swamp Creoles live. Not exactly like the coast of Florida, though the wetlands of Florida are exactly like the LA swamps and rural areas in the south. As for the Creoles, they're probably all dead!

I heard they are about to do a quarantine on the whole city.

it would be good if they did the same to new orleans that they did to galviston in 1900.

After galveston was hit with an unnammed hurricane that leveled the entire island killing thousands, people from all over the world got together and raised the entire island nineteen feet and built a sea wall to protect it.

with structures like the bishops mansion which was too heavy to raise the first floor became an upper basement.

the city would remain exactly where it was and with large sturctures being partially buried it adds (IMO) more tourism appeal. years from now when people see the partially buried buildings then hear the story behind it, well its definitly something that stays with you. at least thats how galveston affected me.

but anyway the mortality figures seem to be much greater than reported in the news a friend of my g/f is a nurse in new orleans and she says the media is really playing it down and that they're bringing bodys in by the truckload. which kind of goes along with this article:

BATON ROUGE, United States (AFP) - US Senator David Vitter said that the death toll from Hurricane Katrina could top 10,000 in Louisiana alone.

"My guess is that it will start at 10,000, but that is only a guess," Vitter said, adding that he was not basing his remarks on any official death toll or body count.

Vitter, a Louisiana Republican, also called for the immediate deployment of regular US combat troops in New Orleans, saying the build-up of National Guard troops was too slow to quickly restore order.

Such a step would require Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco to formally request the dispatch of federal army soldiers, a highly unusual step.

Blanco said on Thursday that she had asked for 40,000 troops, the majority of which are National Guard units from Louisiana and elsewhere.

Full Story
    notice that she (the govener) only asked for troops thursday and they ARE pouring in. the feds really couldn't do much, s far as deploying army troops inside the US goes. until she did ask.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

********** |ceWriterguy
    Fox - there's insurance money, and there's federal disaster relief money. Everyone gets the latter, but only those who paid to be insured get the former. Under 'normal' circumstances (keeping in mind that the devastation caused by Katrina is NOT normal, being the worst natural disaster the US has experienced in modern times) the fed $ is usually enough to rebuild or at least restart people back close to where they were prior to the catastrophe. The insurance, then, becomes the 'kicker' - kind of a payback for the pain and discomfort of going through the casualty to begin with.

In this particular situation, and understanding that Louisiana has the highest property insurance rates of any state in our Union, I'm afraid most people will be getting pennies on the dollar for their losses, both from the fed money and their own insurance. I see where the infrastructure will be restored, possibly even the commercial centers, but nowhere near what they once were. 2 days ago I mentioned that there were upwards of 20k refugees staying in our town alone. A poll was taken of those who wanted to input to it by our local news today asking them if they wanted to rebuild after this was over, or would they prefer to go on with life elsewhere. Most answered the latter.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Ahem, sometimes I really am a girl...this made me teary-eyed.

Sri Lankan President Chandrika Kumaratunga said she and her fellow citizens felt solidarity with those affected.

"Having experienced the fury of nature ourselves during the December 26 tsunami, the people of Sri Lanka and I fully empathize with you at this hour of national grief," she said in a message to the U.S.

And while the small island nation is still recovering from the tsunami disaster, it also pledged $25,000 to the American Red Cross, the AP reported.
    Imagine them pledging that amount of money. Granted, there are countries listed in the article that pledged a great deal more, but I think you have to consider what it's coming out of, too.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.