Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Katerina: So........

AO Ancient: Team Leader

Katerina: So........

The estimated cost of hurricane Katerina will be between $9 and 26 Billion dollars......

The estimated cost of the Tsunami was $5 Billion.....

Jan Eglund of the UN complained about the response from the "rich" countires and the world, including the liberal America media, hammered on the USA for not doing enough.

I have a simple question:-

Where the **** is the UN in the aftermath of Katerina?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    You should know better TS

It is of course gods will [or it WILL be when them MoFo's start spouting their sh17e] that the USofA was 'targeted' by the storm.............

Whereas the tsunami was a tragedy that the world did nothing to alieviate
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Well Tiger~ at the risk of appearing cynical, and apart from a few condolences messages:

Somewhere between zero and bugger all?

It is at times like this that they acknowledge US = UN?

Just my thoughts

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Would you want the UN involved if they offered?

Originally posted here by Aspman
    Would you want the UN involved if they offered?
    Or maybe more to the point, would anyone notice if the UN was involved?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Personally, I don't think there is much the UN could do/offer that FEMA and other organizations aren't already doing...

Its gonna be a long road ahead for people on the Gulf Coast (and even inland, you don't hear much of that in the press)...with no power, just the weather (still summer here with temps in the 90-100 range, with rel. humidity in the 70-90% range) alone will wind up taking its toll on people over the next little while...that's not even talking about all the other infrastructure that is down and might be down for god only knows how long (water, gas, communications, etc)... I personally don't think the UN could offer much quickly enough to help most people (as compared to the local/state/fed government), but then again, guess I am sorta cynical about the effeciency of the U.N.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

im in virginia and there are at least 15 disaster donation spots set up all within walking distance of my job. This has been quoted "the worse natural disaster damage ever experienced by US"

we had hurricane isabel last year that didnt do half as much damage, and it took us three weeks to get power back. I think the Gulf Coast is in for a long road of turmoil.
    Difficult takes a day, Impossible takes a week~Kthln01!

If this had been Asia, there would have been hundreds of thousands of lives
    lost as the shantytowns in low lying coastal areas were wiped out. Because the
    USA can afford higher and stricter building standards, we don't have as many
    people in harm's way, even though the money loss is higher. So the UN isn't
    really being stingy by offering nothing.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    as the shantytowns in low lying coastal areas were wiped out
    I always thought that New Orleans WAS in a low lying coastal area, 10 feet below sea level ????

And it would have made a change if someone OUTSIDE the USofA could have mentioned this in the same breath as aid
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi there rcgreen ... Well hopefully projects like this will help keep the death rate really low next time one hits asia ...

[1] Tsunami - Safe(r) house
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam