Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free (official) Linspire

WOW!!! Free Linux???? Awesome!

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Lol my thoughts exactly. Though I am going to download it.

Anyway, for people having problems downloading it, don't worry, I gots yo ass. as soon as I download, it's going on my FTP server.

lol, thnx. any security benefits? is it easy to use? it looks like ill find out in 18 hrs. bittorrent is pretty slow at the moment

Anyway, for people having problems downloading it, don't worry, I gots yo ass. as soon as I download, it's going on my FTP server.
    Oh thank you, i oredered it twice already and it's not showing up, PM me or keep us updated here when you put it on.
    O.G at A.O

I've read in pcworld that linspire is a terrible version of linux.

I did some searching and found the link:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,120096,00.asp

"If you want to install more programs and you're not a Linux geek familiar with compiling from source code, you'll likely turn to CNR, Linspire's system for downloading and installing software. CNR stands for "Click-N-Run" but could just as easily stand for "Collect New Revenue." A subscription to CNR costs $50 per year for the privilege of downloading software--mostly Free Software. (Linspire is the only Linux distribution that charges for this sort of thing.) New Linspire buyers get a no-cost trial with CNR, but that lasts only 15 days.

And the selling doesn't stop there. An icon in the system tray activates a sales pitch for VirusSafe, a $40 add-on that purports to keep a Linspire system free of viruses. But closer examination reveals that the app only scans for Windows viruses that cannot infect the Linspire OS in the first place. A Linspire rep points out that VirusSafe can prevent you from forwarding viruses to your unwitting Windows-using friends. If you think that's worth the price of admission, feel free to pay up.

With version Five-0, Linspire has crafted a Linux operating system that just about anyone can use--but these days, such a thing really isn't all that unique. Unfortunately, Linspire Five-0 distinguishes itself only with its custom applications and its penchant for repeatedly clawing at your wallet. Better Linux alternatives are out there."
    It seems to be peaceful,but it is incorrect.CATS is still alive.
    Zig-01 must fight CATS again.And down with them completely!
    GOOD LUCK!

The Iceman Cometh
    Wow. That download sucked. lol I finally got through the list and it screwed up on the password. Finally just used BitTorrent instead. I haven't really played around with it yet (just wanna see what the big deal is about it) though wouldn't ever use it in a production environment, but I figure the more version of *nix I'm familiar with, the easier I can make decisions for my clients). All I've done so far is boot the Live CD to move around the environment a bit.

Pshannon, as for your post, I admit that Linspire definitely isn't a worthwhile *nix environment, but it's not designed for that. It's designed for newbies that can't afford Windows. Wal*Marts here sell Linspire-based desktops for $250. I know one person who has it and they're not too dissatisified with it. It does what they need (browse the Internet and type documents). He doesn't know anything about computers so it's a cheap and easy way for him to do what he needs.

Once people play around with it, let post your feedback. I'm actually pretty curious what everyone thinks. I've used a number of different distros like many of you and I'm curious to see how it stacks up against some of the other "user friendly" ones in different test situations.

A.J.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by Godsrock37
    whats the advantages of this operating system over linux or XP?
    It is supposed to be all the advantages of Linux (free software, open source, very configurable, more secure if the bloody user knows what he's doing) with all the ease and useability of Windows. They attempt to eliminate the steep learning curve of Linux and instead make everything point and click.

Originally posted here by pshannon
    An icon in the system tray activates a sales pitch for VirusSafe, a $40 add-on that purports to keep a Linspire system free of viruses.
    Wow. They came closer to emulating a Windows operating environment than I had previously suspected!

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Sorry but what is the adress of your FtP,even i wanted to download it.
    WOW!!! Free Linux???? Awesome!

-Maestr0
    www.ubuntulinux.org
    These guys actually ship the CD;s to your place free of cost

im using the livecd now. Itś pretty easy to use compared to other versions of linux ive used. im not to happy about the CNR thing. I have gentoo partitioned on my laptop and their portage system is similar, u just search for an app you want and it sees if it can automatically install it for u (free). Gentoo isnt that easy to use though, lots of learning which was good for me but maybe not others. personally i dont think id use it on one of my boxes as a permanent operating system. Definitely some better distros out there. The things i liked about it is its professional look and its ease of use. It detected most of my hardware which was cool and was almost able to connect to my wireless network (detected the hardware but would not actually connect), but im not sure those two features make up for its price. thnx again for the tip it was good to look at another distro

Re: Free (official) Linspire

Originally posted here by avdven
    Not sure if you've all heard, but a company released a free version of Linspire called Freespire late last month. Needless to say, Linspire wasn't too thrilled with the idea. To make a long story short, though, you can (for a limited time) download a fully-licensed version of Linspire for free using a coupon they are offering until Sept. 6th. Check out the link below for instructions on how to obtain your free copy. Might be interesting for *nix or MS users who want to try something different.

Free Linspire Five-O

A.J.
    I have been using Linspire for a while and they have always had the "FREE" live cd. It is a way of getting new people to come aboard. They also offer the full version free of charge if you sign up for a year of CNR. Personally I enjoyed using Linspire as a stable production system, I was also able to set my mom up with it and cut down on the phone calls to remove spyware and virii off her system. At the current moment I am using Slax, but I would still suggest Linspire to anyone who wants to try an easy version of linux.