It has been some time since I've been an active member here, mainy because I've been trying to keep a large EPoS design, development and implementation on track and I haven't really had the time to do anything else.

However, by mid july most of the work was over and I began reading AO again.

Something has changed and I just can't get the enthusiasm to post these days.

Reflecting on AO..

Things have changed:
* We seem to have more Mods than I remeber, but I see little evidence of timely and effective moderation of AO.
* Custom titles have been added as a site benefit, yet I fail to see the benefit these titles deliver when viewed by new members of the site.
* It seems that juvenile actions are the norm for certain members, with repeated bans having little or no effect.
* There seem to be less posts discussing the finer points of security or helping users get to the bottom of their problems.
* Many more new users post once and then never return.
* As a place where real advances could be made in the field of security, with much in the way of useful expertise, I see little evidence that AO is a force to be reckoned with in the fight against much that is bad in the world of computers.

Things have stayed the same:
* Some Senior members are still quick to light/fan the flames.
* A fresh female member can wreak havoc.
* Addicts access is still a topic for discussion.
* Post count is stil a valid goal in itself for some users.
* The AO site theme feels a little tired

I have changed:
* I wonder if my interest in AO wained after there seemed to be little else to acheive here (no more dots to get).
* I have had little security wise to worry about at work or home for some time now.
* I have less tolerance for brash and abraisive behaviour/language.

I have stayed the same:
* I still need to feel useful and to help people.
* I am often fickle and get bored easily.

Please note, these are simply my reflection and experiences, and are not by any factual analysis.

I'm not planning on leaving AO as protest.

I'm just hoping thread wil invite some reasoned discussion, perhaps allow others some time to reflect and as A result I really hope my interest in posting returns.

Thanks for listening.

Steve