Thread: motherboard????

motherboard????

hi there and ty for help
    got a pc from work and on weekend my son was itchy to get this better pc i promissed him for a long time so i opened this box(didnt have a memory sticks at all)
    put 2 256 2100ddr and box came alive.
    well i didnt check the motherboard before i put stick(no smart) but everything works fine.
    i wanted to see what motherboard is and on it it says a@p kt266a_asp
    i tried to find it on the google but i get some chines sites which are not help at all(no chinese)
    on case it says octec so i tried that but no much success.
    ok guys what is this motherbard??/
    is it octec some model or i am on a wrong track.???
    tried motherboard sites but got back to chinese writing
    thnks
    (this machine has xp2000(1.6ghz) and 512memory so its not that bad for a 8 yrs old.
    thnks

********** |ceWriterguy
    (this machine has xp2000(1.6ghz) and 512memory so its not that bad for a 8 yrs old.
    thnks

*cough* 1.6Ghz didn't exist 8 years ago. I smell a rat.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I'd say Octec will probably be the people who made the computer, or rather assembled the computer.

That is the chip set on your MotherBoard (kt266a) - Try typing that into google without the brackets and you will find all the info you want or/and go here: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/ch...legacy/kt266a/ to find info about the chipset - here will tell you what it supports and what upgrades you can have etc, i.e You wont be able to go more than PC2100 etc

As to the make it could be any Abit, Asus ect - it will say on the mother board somwhere.

Try searching the net for some utilitys that will tell you info about your mother board - I cant remember any off hand or I would link you to some

Hope it helped!

//If it is eight years old it must have been upgraded!

Although Nokia has already given you most of your information, you can also try this:

Go and download CPU-Z @ http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

Then run CPU-Z on your son's computer that you want to figure out the motherboard for. It will give you information on the CPU in use and will have a tab to tell what it finds out about the motherboard.

Be sure to post what you find because someone might come across this post in their searches on that same board. Cheers

Tim_Axe -- Thanks for the link (for myself aswell as the thread starter) because I need something like that in assessing my motherboards and whatnot.
    Space For Rent.. =]

hi hahaha
    thanks for a quick and good response as usual
    you made me laugh because i was refering to my son who is 8yrs old no my system(so that system is not bad for him who is 8yrs old)
    being of no english as first language i think i didnt put words in proper order lol
    ty.
    i think program you were thinking is everest so i will download and try to see whats there
    thnks

Hmmmmmmmm .....your syntax was a lot cleaner in 2003.....American like ..............now you seem to be butchering it.

CPU-Z gives MOBO info.

It's all right, we know it's your job...you're in PC repair; you don't have to come in with all these little accounts to ask the questions...........

Though I do find it funny.

You think everyone can't tell that there's a barrage of accounts coming in........

who you are refering here imitation??
    hope not me as i have 1 account and dont know what u are talking about,
    and i dont fix pc its not my job at all.
    like it as hobby
    thanks for your input.was very educational

oh guys,
    motherboard is octec rhino kt266a_ase
    with north bridge via vt8366a appolo kt266a
    and south bridge via vt8233c chipsets.
    so it is octec matherboard which was manifactured in 2002.

EVEREST Home Edition can be quite helpful