Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP, have WINS...need DNS

HELP, have WINS...need DNS

Hello, we lease computers for our DMV registration and we need only to enter our network information. We use static IP's, after entering all the info and rebooting we have no connection.
    Rum CMD ipconfig /all and ip, subnet and gateway are correct but it shows WINS primary and secondary servers instead of DNS, try release and renew but still the same. WINS is disabled in TCP/IP properties, why does it show up? Everything seems to be set correctly but it displays WINS instead of DNS, They are blank by the way, DNS info is entered correctly. Any ideas? OS is 98, TCP/IP properties are set correctly and WINS is disabled.

AOs Resident Troll
    What is th OS of the server you are connecting to?

Is this on all machines...or just one?

Are all the machines 98??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Not connecting to a server, just going through the gateway to the net, it's just this machine, all others are XP or 2000pro

AOs Resident Troll
    Can you ping the gateway??

Can you ping 127.0.0.1??

MLF

no, cannot ping gateway, I can ping 127.0.0.1 I know my problem is not having dns servers, my ipconfig info shows WINS service, we don't use it and it is disabled, Do I maybe need to reinstall TCP/IP?

AOs Resident Troll
    Well if you can ping the card 127.0.0.1.. the NIC and protocol are working and installed....

If you cannot ping the gateway....check your cable,connections, and IP settings.

oh and with 98.....reboot...alot

MLF

Cables and connections were checked and good.OK, this is a fresh computer we just got yesterday to replace one with a failed hard drive. All the IP settings are correct. This is what I get from IP config:

c:\ipconfig /all

Physical address: xx:xx:xx:xx
    DHCP enabled: NO
    IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
    subnet: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Default Gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Primary WINS server: empty
    Secondary WINS server: empty

What I need to know is how to go from WINS to DNS? If I look in TCP/IP properties DNS info is set correctly, and WINS resolution is disabled, so why does WINS keep showing up in my config and not DNS?

AOs Resident Troll
    well...if you cannot ping your gateway...than you have a physical connection problem...cause ping doesnt use DNS.

Put one of the machines that works at that connection....

see if you can connect

MLF

Tried another box and a lan toner, both worked fine, my conclusion is a dead NIC (did try remove and reinstall the card and drivers, no change), since it's a leased box I just called and told them to ship me a new one. Thanks for your help.

/edit; "you have to spread your antipoints around before giving to Morganfly again"

Thanks again

AOs Resident Troll
    ttau

Get XP on the replacement...willmake your life...soooooooooo much easier

MLF