Thread: Cracking/tweaking software is a good thing for some companies...

Ninja Code Monkey

Cracking/tweaking software is a good thing for some companies...

http://news.com.com/Hackings+a+snap+...?tag=nefd.lede

Interesting take on the subject. Instead of getting mad, looking at what your customers are doing so you can actually improve your software. Go figure...
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    It sounds like major companies are beginning to discover the avantages of open source...even though the customers had to hack the program.
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

Ninja Code Monkey
    This has nothing to do with open source.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

burn!
    But seriously, its mindboggling how long it's taken for companies to realise that people who take advantage of program glitches and backdoors are simply expanding the usefullness of the program which is what the company should be trying to do anyways.
    A buttered piece of bread always lands butter side down;
    A cat always lands on its feet;
    A cat with a buttered piece of bread strapped to its back hovers feet above the ground in a state of quantum indecision

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Post here also http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=270589

Lego has just seen that these people are not causing the company any harm by doing this and it may actually increase their sales. It's exposed a problem with their marketing (forcing people to buy large bags of blocks to get a single piece) and the customer has created their own solution. Lego may now get more smaller sales adding to a greater total.

The software was also free so it's not like Lego is seeing the software being pirated (ha har me harties - Sept 19th ). Some companies would blow their stack over something like this and then reap some bad publicity. Lego has been laid back enough to roll with it and keep their customers happy.