Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hard drive failure

I only use XP Pro, so maybe the security tab is just under pro. See if you can find a trial upgrade, or someone else with a Pro installation to do it. Also, you can DL Knoppix, a live Linux distro, and try to access it that way...shouldn't be a problems unless you used EFS, which I doubt because you don't even have a security tab.

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

I told you wrong.................. when you go to --> My Computer --> Local Disk (D?: ) --> Documents and Settings --> "Users Profile" --> My Documents --> Right-Click --> Move to Folder --> Move it to the new Local Disk. (C?: )

What does it say when you do this?

If you dont have the --> Right-Click--> "Move to Folder" option.... let me know, it might be a .bat or .reg I've created on my systems........ I haven't reinstalled in well over two years and I've wrote my .bat's and .reg's ages ago...........but since I told you wrong before I feel compelled to help you even more now and I'll go through my aged tweaks and post the tweak. But I'm thinking the Move to Folder option is default on XP home and Pro.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To] @="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To] @="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"
    Assuming you know how to make a .reg....run it with Admin priv.

Originally posted here by AxessTerminated
    I only use XP Pro, so maybe the security tab is just under pro.
    I am using XP Pro. Don't know why you have a security tab and I do not. I originally did use EFS but I'm pretty sure that I had undone it a long time ago. Have not had any kind of access resctrictions that I know of in the last year or so.

In addition, I finally was able to get into the folder and it looks like a lot of the stuff that was in there is missing. Also I had about 6 other folders inside this one that I had photo's separated into by date/event. All of these folders say they are empty when I scroll over them, but will not let me open them (access denied...as usual). I'm beginning to believe that the data has been corrupted somehow. Any opinions???
    Thanks
    ~Amorphous~

If you get a box that has a red x and says:

D?:\??????\??????? is not accessible
    Acess is denied.

You don't have privileges.

That's the same message I get when I try to access my other drives through my limited account.

Move the folders over to the new local disk and then open them.

It's a matter of priveleges and ownership. I have no clue why you wouldn't have a Security tab. Do you have "Sharing and Security" on the context menu? It brings you to the same window.

Also are you admin?

Anyone have ideas why some XP Pro distros have a security tab, and some don't? Just gotta be a setting or something.

A_T

PS - I have SP2 as well, but I am pretty sure these were there before SP2.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

No security tab unless your administrator? Not sure and OP says he's admin

Also, My copy of xp pro from MSDN is noticeably different from the non OEM distro I have for client installs at work. ???
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

AOs Resident Troll
    Anyone have ideas why some XP Pro distros have a security tab, and some don't? Just gotta be a setting or something.
    this is because it is installed on a FAT32 partition

which can be converted to NTFS and then you will get a security tab.

Go to ms and search convert

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

MLF:

I was actually stumped with this one, I didn't know you could run xp on fat32. I haven't used that format for many years now.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. K.I.S.S.

/me reminds self to keep is simple stupid!

Thanks mlf
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Hi again,
    Yes I am running as admin. The file system is also NTFS on both drives.
    ~Amorphous~