Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slackware installation problem

Slackware installation problem

I have a computer with a SCSI disk which contains windows XP pro, and an IDE disk which is supposed to contain slackware 10.2.
    Everything installs just fine, but when I try to install Lilo it fails to do so (I try to write it to Master boot record). I don't see what the problem could be, I disabled MBR protection in the bios.

Is there any way to get that IDE drive bootable without having to reïnstall slackware? Note that this computer does not have a floppy drive.

I'm not sure how to dualboot a computer with 2 seperate disks, as opposed to multiple partitions on one disk. Can anyone provide me with some help? And I will not try to mess around with stuff that might modify the windows drive (unless there is a way to use to windows bootloader to boot linux), since I do not want that to need reïnstall too.

I found this: http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-52.html
    which says:
    Ok, you're waist deep in the Linux install, cruising along nicely, the next step is VERY IMPORTANT. You must create a boot disk when the Linux install asks, because we will need to make the boot sector that LILO creates into a file so that the Windows2000 Pro boot loader can use it to start Linux. And since we are not installing LILO to the MBR (Master Boot Record for those who don’t know), you'll have no way of getting Linux to boot and the long setup process will be for naught! .
    Obviously I cannot create a bootdisk.

Thanks
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

im thinking ifyou install lilo to the mbr of the primary disk which im thinking is your windows disk and set it to boot linux on /dev/hdb or something like that. haven`t actually tried ythis but you could be in luck.
    Lets stop Thinking and start Drinking!

I'm not modifying the windows drive mbr, it may screw up things.
    It seems there is no feasible solution .

Also, assuming that lilo installs properly on the slackware MBR, because the windows drive is SCSI I need to install a non-default kernel. But in the menu where one is ought to choose a kernel there is more then one SCSI compatible kernel, scsi1, scsi2, ...
    Anyone know what to choose?

Does Lilo support SCSI disks?
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Good Dear Lord.... When you made that box did you take a hat full of paper with accronymns on them and make...?

Ok first, read my tutorial. I go step by step on the partition parts of it. And you may want to check out my Debian and Windows dual boot tutorial as well. For the SCSI part.... Select the Kernel that has "SCSI" support

If you're worried, buy Partition Magic and use the boot loader from that, then you just install Lilo to the root.

When you made that box did you take a hat full of paper with accronymns on them and make...?
    Lol.

I have read your tutorial on installing slackware, then installed slackware. The only thing that failed to install was Lilo.
    Lilo is going to be in MBR, not root.
    The only problem is, how to get Lilo to the disk which has already linux installed without using a floppy.

Select the Kernel that has "SCSI" support
    Obviously, but there is more than one scsi kernel.

www.elhalf.com

i assume u r using bootable slack discs, just boot the disc, run setup and configure lilo skipping the file copying section. or run liloconfig while you are in. or boot a live cd, edit or create the lilo config file on ur disk and install to wherever u wish. choice is urs.

Well, guess I'm going to have to format one of my boxes and pop Slackware on again to see which Kernel has SCSI to figure out which one you have to use.... If you want to buy me a SCSI HD let me know, then maybe I can show you how.... But I don't have any.

i assume u r using bootable slack discs, just boot the disc, run setup and configure lilo skipping the file copying section. or run liloconfig while you are in. or boot a live cd, edit or create the lilo config file on ur disk and install to wherever u wish. choice is urs.
    I'll try that.
    Well, guess I'm going to have to format one of my boxes and pop Slackware on again to see which Kernel has SCSI to figure out which one you have to use.... If you want to buy me a SCSI HD let me know, then maybe I can show you how.... But I don't have any.
    Haha. It's really weird, xp and slack both say I have 2 cpu's (P4 hyperthreading), and both disks are 80gig, while the second one was supposed to be 40. Also both disks where supposed to be IDE's.
    The store where I bought it inserted too much stuff it seems lol.

g0re, look here: http://mirrors.evrocom.net/slackware/slackware/kernels/

You see, it says scsi, scsi1, scsi2 and scsi3. I don't know what the difference is.

www.elhalf.com

your best bet is to select any of them as they have scsi support, although support for other things vary between them. Also, re-compiling your kernel isnt as difficult as it sounds and will solve all your problems once u r booted up.

OK when you boot up, you may want to press f2 when Slackware says you can choose another Kernel...

The Kernel you're going to want.... Well hold on, not on that screen yet. Usually I can do the install in my head without looking but well, haven't been to bed yet and it's almost 8 AM.

OK press F2 when you boot up, and Slackware is loaded. THEN press F3, it shows more Kernels and what they do. You'll probably want Sata.i