Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slackware installation problem

Originally posted here by el-half
    You see, it says scsi, scsi1, scsi2 and scsi3. I don't know what the difference is.
    http://www.slackware.com/install/bootdisk.php
    SCSI bootdisks (.s suffix)

adaptec.s This bootdisk supports most Adaptec SCSI controllers, including these models: AHA-1510, AHA-1520, AHA-1522, AHA-1522, AHA-1740, and AHA-2825. The AIC7xxx models, which include the 274x EISA cards; 284x VLB cards; 2902, 2910, 293x, 294x, 394x, 3985 and several other PCI and motherboard based SCSI controllers from Adaptec. Adaptec's I2O based RAID controllers (including OEM Adaptec RAID controllers used by HP and Dell, Adaptec branded AAC964/5400 RAID controllers, and DPT SmartRaid V cards)

ibmmca.s This is a bootdisk based on a development kernel which supports MicroChannel Architecture, found in some IBM PS/2 machines and laptops. It is a bus system similar to PCI or ISA. Support for most MCA SCSI, Ethernet, and Token Ring adapters is included.

jfs.s A version of bare.i with support for IBM's Journaled Filesystem as well as Adaptec AIC7xxx SCSI support.

raid.s This is a bootdisk with support for some hardware SCSI and ATA RAID controllers. The install disks now have preliminary support for these controllers as well. The drivers included are: AMI MegaRAID 418, 428, 438, 466, 762, 490 and 467 SCSI host adapters, Compaq Smart, Compaq Smart Array 5xxx, IBM ServeRAID hardware RAID, LSI Logic Fusion(TM) MPT devices (not really RAID, but added since there was room for this driver here), Mylex DAC960, AcceleRAID, and eXtremeRAID controllers. Many of these controllers will require some degree of do-it-yourself setup before and/or after installation.

scsi.s This is a SCSI bootdisk with support for various controllers. Note that this disk does not include Adaptec support any longer -- you must use the adaptec.s bootdisk for that. This disk supports these SCSI controllers: AM53/79C974 PCI SCSI, BusLogic SCSI, EATA ISA/EISA/PCI (DPT and generic EATA/DMA-compliant boards), Initio 91XXU(W) and Initio 91XXU(W), SYM53C8XX Version 2, Qlogic ISP SCSI, Qlogic QLA 1280 SCSI.

scsi2.s This is a SCSI bootdisk with support for various controllers. This disk supports these SCSI controllers: AdvanSys SCSI (supports all AdvanSys SCSI controllers, including some SCSI cards included with HP CD-R/RW drives, the Iomega Jaz Jet SCSI controller, and the SCSI controller on the Iomega Buz multimedia adapter), ACARD 870U/W SCSI host adapter, Compaq Fibre Channel 64-bit/66Mhz HBA, Domex DMX3191D SCSI Host Adapters, DTC 3180/3280 SCSI Host Adapters, Future Domain 16xx SCSI/AHA-2920A, NCR53c7, 8xx, NCR53C8XX

scsi3.s This is a SCSI bootdisk with support for various controllers. This disk supports these SCSI controllers: Western Digital 7000FASST SCSI support, Always IN2000, Intel/ICP (former GDT SCSI Disk Array) RAID Controller, PCI2000I, PCI2220i, PSI240i EIDE interface card, Qlogic FAS SCSI, QLogic ISP FC (ISP2100 SCSI-FCP), Seagate ST01/ST02, Future Domain TMC-885/950 SCSI, SYM53c416 SCSI host adapter, UltraStor 14F, 24F and 34F SCSI-2 host adapters, Workbit NinjaSCSI-32Bi/UDE

speakup.s This is like the bare.i (standard IDE) disk, but has support for Speakup (and since there was space, support for Adaptec's AIC7xxx SCSI controllers is also included) Speakup provides access to Linux for the visually impaired community. It does this by sending console output to a number of different hardware speech synthesizers. It provides access to Linux by making screen review functions available. For more information about speakup and its drivers check out: http://www.linux-speakup.org. To use this, you'll need to specify one of the supported synthesizers on the bootdisk's boot prompt:
    ramdisk speakup_synth=synth
    where 'synth' is one of the supported speech synthesizers: acntpc, acntsa, apolo, audptr, bns, decext, dectlk, dtlk, ltlk, spkout, txprt

xfs.s This is an extended version of bare.i with support for SGI's XFS filesystem. Support for Adaptec's AIC7xxx SCSI controllers is also included.
    That should help in selecting the kernel image to use

The kernel images have same names as boot disk images (I believe)
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Thanks for your help g0re and the_Jinx and cybermonk.
    Lilo install did not work because I assumed that if slack was being installed on dev/hdb Lilo would also install on that drive. But it was stupid enough to try to install itself on dev/hda, which is the CD-ROM drive.

I've got it booting .
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Don't feel bad man... Hell I once sat around for 6 hours trying to install Free BSD because I'd get half way through and the damn power would go bye bye. It sucked but I did finish it eventually. The first time I installed Free BSD, I forgot to make a back up of my Windows 98 SE partition, and I ****ED it.

Lol, I can't find any controller that even looks like the ones that are on my disks.
    This Linux-drive is a Maxtor 6Y080M0 drive, in the windows Computer Managment utility it says: Intel (R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers. I ran knoppix to see if it mounted the drive and it did. I'm tempted to try the scsi3.s kernel, if anyone knows what I should choose please tell me

Hell I once sat around for 6 hours trying to install Free BSD because I'd get half way through and the damn power would go bye bye.
    I have spent and entire day trying to install windows 98. The Cd drive was fubar'd.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Hey el-half, can you use lspci on knoppix or something..

That might indicate what chipset the SCSI uses..

I'll see, I installed slackware with the scsi3.s kernel and it did not show the drive.

www.elhalf.com

I did lspci -vv and it displayed similar information.
    Intel Corp. 82801FB/FW (ICH6) SATA Controller.

There are a bunch of other kernels available too, not listed in that bootdisk list.
    I now installed using test26.s which is a 2.6 kernel and was said to support some SCSI devices, but I couldn't mount the disk (using mount /dev/sda1), it said /dev/sda1 couldn't be found in /etc/fstab or something.

This really sucks, now I have to burn the drivers that might hopefully support my wireless chipset on a cd, and all software that I want to ever install (the wireless will most likely never work, since I couldn't even get it to work with Knoppix).

The only reason I'm installing Linux is because in the university I'm attending in 3 days most of the coding will be aimed at *nix platform, and also shell scripting. Only having a shell on the uni server will probably not be practical, so maybe having to burn an occasional cd is not a disaster.

www.elhalf.com

Ehm... el-half, I might be reading this the wrong way..
    But.. SATA not is SCSI !

There is a slackware sata.i
    This is a version of bare.i with support for SATA controllers made by Promise, Silicon Image, SiS, ServerWorks / Apple K2, VIA, and Vitesse.
    No mention of any INTEL chipset..

I don't have any SATA here at the moment, so can't check..
    But I thought SATA drives are seen in linux as 'virtual' SCSI drives.

I know, I don't understand that. In some places it says SCSI and in others it says SATA, in knoppix it is mounted as /dev/sda1, so I assumed it to be an SCSI drive.

But I thought SATA drives are seen in linux as 'virtual' SCSI drives.
    If that is the case then the drive is probably a SATA drive. I'll try using the sata.i

www.elhalf.com

http://kerneltrap.org/node/5549
    The libATA driver uses the kernel's SCSI layer, and causes each SATA port to appear as a new SCSI bus.
    So that would be a YES..
    SATA on linux systems is (still) a virtual SCSI..