Thread: FTP daemons

FTP daemons

I've been doing a bit of googling (Now synonymous with research it seems) about FTP

Now, just wondering but what does everyone here use and which do you like the most?

The three most popular NOW seem to be :

VSFTP

PureFTP

ProFTP

Which of these would you consider the best ?

The first time I ever set one up was VSFTP, and then PureFTPd which I stuck with because I like it.

The reason for this thread is it seems the pages about them are misinformed:

http://vsftpd.beasts.org/

http://www.proftpd.org/sites.html

http://www.pureftpd.org/users.shtml

Is this just me or is a couple of those listed on each one of these?

ProFTP site -

Linksys
    Linksys is the leader of broadband, wireless and networking hardware to the home and SOHO user worldwide.

PureFTP site -

Linksys

Over the past 14 years, Linksys has become THE leader in sales of wireless, routers, network cards and USB adapters to the Home and Small business user through retail and e-commerce channels.
    Linksys is known as the leader in networking solutions for the home and small business particularly wireless LAN equipment, broadband routers, network adapters for the desktop and notebook PC and hubs and switches. Linksys has been recognized with top awards from PC Magazine, PC World, CRN, VARBusiness, Network World, InfoWorld and much more. Linksys has also been named as an Inc. 500 Hall of Fame inductee for its 5 years of continuous growth as well as being one of the fastest growing private companies in the US. Deloitte and Touche also named Linksys as a Fast 500 company by being one of the Fastest Growing Tech Companies in the US.

Which one do they want...

I'm thinking of writing a tutorial on the three listed here and showing people how to pick one.

Personally I prefer using vsftp; I find it far easier to configure than the other two you listed. This essentially makes it more secure as well, since a more easily configurable application is a more easily secured application.

I used proftpd for a while, and the config file was usually a pile of spaghetti. The pureftpd config I never figured out so well. After that I tried out vsftpd and it just seemed so much more intuitive to set up and secure, so I stuck with it.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

You're correct. ProFTP is like crack.

If you ever want another look at PureFTP to give it a try, I made a tutorial for setting up a secure FTP server on SUSE