Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deleting what seems to be undeleteable?

also when i use cmd method to try and delete i either get a permissions error or can't access specified file?

yes googled to no end yet this file seems to be either malicious or may have been created by microsofts wonderful goback software....my theory on the matter may be that at one time or another system restore may have created a phantom (already been deleted file) which does not "exsist" on the the harddrive when using system restore. You know the files that remain on your harddrive unless you use a secure shredder. Finding the reason i can't delete it again
    is even more puzzeling if my theory is correct.

May be this will help you

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4709.html]Pocket KillBox[/URL]

Pocket KillBox is a program that can be used to get rid of files that stubbornly refuse to allow you to delete them.
    // too far away outside of limit

i tried that same thing yet there was still, bug like things on my drives, so i salvaged what i could and got a new computer.. was that a waste of money?

Im not sure what this would do prehaps its dangerous and you would like to try it on a test directory

del somefilename.*

have you tried renaming it??

i2c

Re: Deleting what seems to be undeleteable?

Originally posted here by puff989
    I have run into a problem, not a virus.......but a file that will not delete despite all my efforts.
    I have tried delete on boot (in safe mode) also have tried to fill the file with code so as to delete it. But to no avail. The file shows no time of creation nor is it even recognized by windows or my hard drive. ><
    Use a Linux Live-CD, Mount your hard drive and delete it while the file is not in use.

Perhaps you should try using a LiveCD O/S, such as Knoppix. That would get around any Windows-related issues. However, I agree with warriorfan808 that you should find out if this file is in fact a virus. I recently ran across a file that appeared to be a virus, but after some research found an obscure reference to it that showed it was a normal part of the O/S.
    \"The future stretches out before us, uncharted. Find the open road and look back with a sense of wonder. How pregnant this moment in time. How mysterious the path ahead. Now, step forward.\"
    Phillip Toshio Sudo, Zen Computer
    Have faith, but lock your door.

Well the reason i found it not to be be apart of my system files is it has a rather obscure name one of them being "Cautious" and i've tried knoppix os a rather wonderfull and ingenius alternative to windows mounted the drive mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 -o rw
    and the problem still persists this is no ordinary file. Im thinking about just backing up all my important stuff and formating the sob.

you really need to find out whats using this file or what files its interacting with. systernals has a free program called filemon

FileMon monitors and displays file system activity on a system in real-time. Its advanced capabilities make it a powerful tool for exploring the way Windows works, seeing how applications use the files and DLLs, or tracking down problems in system or application file configurations.
    you can have the program highlight the file you want to watch and filter other things out allowing you to watch it better. you might find out its a ligit file and ease your mind or you can find the program thats accessing it and kill it once and for all
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Undeletable Files

Google the term "Windows Undeletable File trick" or something of that nature. I forget the
    exact term. I'd search for you, but I'm on a text browser...and Gentoo's only half-installed..
    so I have issues here. But I used to mess with my friends all the time. You create a file with
    a character that Windows won't recognize by holding Alt, and pressing the ASCII code of the
    character you want to insert. Windows will see it, but won't be able to do anything else. Maybe
    Knoppix is having a similar issue. But you should be able to rename it from DOS, then delete it.
    But you can't delete it until it's renamed.

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.