Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help required identifying Intel processor

Hi Audio2U ,

No worries mate my comment was on the difficulty of deciding which one it was because of the two S/Ns.......................

I am not sure how it will have been set up, but I guess that like mine you could overclock it a fair bit? (not that I recommend that for normal use).

My initial recommendation is build a new box around the MoBo and processor and see how it performs................hey you would get a good price for either system if you don't want a backup?

Keep your eyes out for some secondhand or cheap RAMBUS PC800 memory....................I picked up 2x256Mb for about A$130

Get a good heatsink and fan (3Gb rated) and use silver thermal paste.

Good luck and give me a shout if you have any probs............

Cheers

Hey, thanks heaps, Nihil!
    Definitely sounsd like it's going to be worth rebuilding my current box to use this MB and chip then. It should definitely be a faster combination than my existing AthlonXP 2800+.
    Although, as you say, I'll probably want to pick up another 512MB of RAM ASAP.
    I read that all the RAM slots must be filled either with real RAM chips or with "fillers" that provide some sort of "connection throughput"? Does that sound right to you? I notice that there are 4 modules in the 4 slots, and 2 appear to be RAM modules and 2 are much shallower, and are probably those "filler" modules.
    BTW, do you ever sleep?
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Audio2U
    The home of quality podcasts

Ah, an "Intel Confidential" chip. Anything with the SSpec that starts with a "Q" is going to be tough to figure out unless you turn the machine on. To bring the information you presented together:

ATPO mark: L237A243
    SN mark: 0124
    SSpec: QRBOES
    Assembly: Malaysia
    Part/OEM Number: 88532PE003512

After some searching I found a page that listed a processor with the S-Spec QRBOES. It apparently belongs to a 3.06GHz Northwood Pentium 4, C1 stepping w/ 512KB of L2 cache. It doesn't follow what I'd expect on the Part/OEM number which identifies it as E0 stepping. If the rest of that OEM Number is right (the 885 in the beginning doesn't match anything though) I think this is a 1.5v part. It could be the 3rd speed tier of this paticular sample, as the 03 following the E0 usually designates that (and is beyond the 70's for "real" processors).

It looks like you have a good chip on your hands though, if I got it ID'd right. The C1 stepping goes decently far. Apparently someone got his to 3787MHz with the standard cooler (likely not stable), while another person got it to 4293MHz on LN2.

Definately put it together and see what it is with something like CPU-Z. Post back and tell us what it is.

See:
    http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/Intel/Northwood/page2.htm
    http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/Intel/Northwood/page6.htm
    http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/Pentium%204-7.html

Hi Bruce,

Yes, when I got my box way back, it had 2x128Mb strips and two shorter, thinner "dummies" in the other two slots. I put the 2 x 256 in the first two slots and the 2 x 128 in the second two (force of habit )................it used to matter when you had 4Mb, 8Mb and 16Mb 72-pin EDO RAM.

BTW, do you ever sleep?
    "IF: consumed plentiful sufficiency of alcohol, then: GOTO: sleep
    ELSE: IF: run out of alcohol, then: GOTO: sleep

/END

Cheers,

Johnno

Wow! Tim_axe, thanks heaps for your insight.
    Nihil, thanks for the info on RAM. I'll definitely have a hunt around on EBay for some second hand RAMBUS RAM.
    As for the rebuild, this week's a messed up week for me as here in Oz, we've just had a long weekend, and next weekend, my wife, son and I are going away for 3 days.... so I'm probably looking at Wednesday week (about the 12th October) before I can do the rebuild.
    Still, might be able to track down some extra RAM before then which would save me having to open the box twice! See? There's good in everything if you only look for it!
    Stay tooned....
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Audio2U

Originally posted here by Tim_axe
    Ah, an "Intel Confidential" chip. Anything with the SSpec that starts with a "Q" is going to be tough to figure out unless you turn the machine on. To bring the information you presented together:

ATPO mark: L237A243
    SN mark: 0124
    SSpec: QRBOES
    Assembly: Malaysia
    Part/OEM Number: 88532PE003512

After some searching I found a page that listed a processor with the S-Spec QRBOES. It apparently belongs to a 3.06GHz Northwood Pentium 4, C1 stepping w/ 512KB of L2 cache. It doesn't follow what I'd expect on the Part/OEM number which identifies it as E0 stepping. If the rest of that OEM Number is right (the 885 in the beginning doesn't match anything though) I think this is a 1.5v part. It could be the 3rd speed tier of this paticular sample, as the 03 following the E0 usually designates that (and is beyond the 70's for "real" processors).

It looks like you have a good chip on your hands though, if I got it ID'd right. The C1 stepping goes decently far. Apparently someone got his to 3787MHz with the standard cooler (likely not stable), while another person got it to 4293MHz on LN2.

Definately put it together and see what it is with something like CPU-Z. Post back and tell us what it is.

See:
    http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/Intel/Northwood/page2.htm
    http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/Intel/Northwood/page6.htm
    http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/Pentium%204-7.html

I don't know anything about that s-spec. Really need CPU-Z's help here. Actually now that I think about it, the Part/OEM number won't tell you anything about the stepping. Also, there was no Northwood E0 steppings. The Northwood C1 stepping tends to average about 3.2 to 3.4 gig. I'm a Northy fanboy.

What I'm about to say, I say with the utmost respect...
    you guys are SO geeky!
    Cheers,
    Bruce.
    Audio2U

Well I rarely find anyone in the public to actually shoot the **** with about computers. Radio shack "peoples" aren't quite the type I hang with. I hang with a more mechanical breed, more like stunt riders doing endos.....we get more pu$$y and save gas that way.

Mmm...stunt riders doing endos. I used to have a dirtbike...Suzuki RM250. I endurance raced the thing. There's something fun about ripping through a loose sandy beach at the top of the powerband and managing to reach gear 4 in under 50 meters before the motor gags at the dirt it has been throwing behind the bike as the beach slowly turns to much harder dirt... My older XR-100R choked through this course in gear 3 while a pedestrian could have out-paced it...

So yeah, I love the mechanical breed. But I feel alienated (and thus seperated from the mechanics) because my bike is still in Japan and my car plain sucks. But my photography is pretty good.

I also don't hang with the computer kids or D&D people. Kind of on my own really, but hoping to wow the ladies with my extreme knowledge in some rather useless stuff such as calculus, mechanical engineering, and photography. Computers are something that few people I know realize I understand intimately

Tim_axe,
    You shouldn't get too intimate with your computer it ruins the floppy drive.
    Sorry i think i better get a coffee.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)