Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: schools in americia

Let me throw in a qualifier for myself here. This is "pop psychology", a crude over simplification of something that's extremely complex. You'd have to look into the parvocellular and magnocellular pathways to get a real grasp on what does what. The rest is pretty much pseudoscience claims on the brains nuts and bolts when it comes to neurotransmitters and the like. All in all you need to really study psychology.

People with extreme left scores need to get a dose of liberal arts.

I'm curious to see what Egal scores. Egal and I are both artist (I'm more oil based). I have great hand-eye coordination, I'm ambidextrous as well (though I claim lefty), but I still score more left.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by !mitationRust
    People with extreme left scores need to get a dose of liberal arts.
    Ok, if you're talking about me why don't you just come right out and say it??

I know my score shows me to be extremely left-brained but allow me to explain...

I am more left brained, it is true, but I have had a healthy dose of the arts as well. My undergraduate degree was a bachelor's of ARTS in Military History (specializing in tactics, strategy, and weapons technology). Also, I started playing percussion at the age of 8. By the time I was in high school I was one of the best percussionists in Texas. Also, I've played piano since the age of 6.

It just seems the older I get, the less I can tolerate imaginary crap, using my imagination, disregard for rules...and really just a lot of the right-brained characteristics. It's not bad...it's just not me. I don't mind being boring.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Hi Imitation,

At first I didn't know what test you were talking about so I had to do a little backtracking...results?...

Almost broke even...50% left 52% right

Overall you appear to have fairly Equal Hemispheres

-----------------------------------------

According to Darwinian theory, optimal evolution takes place with random variation and selective retention. The evolution savvy individual will try many different approaches when faced with a problem and select the best of those approaches. Many historical intellectuals have confessed their advantage was simply considering/exploring/trying more approaches than others. The left brain dominant type suffers from limited approaches, narrow-mindedness. The right brain dominant type suffers from too many approaches, scatterbrained. To maintain balanced hemispheres, you need to exercise both variability and selection. Just as a company will have more chance of finding a great candidate by increasing their applicant pool, an individual who considers a wider set of options is more likely to make quality decisions.

Eg

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    My favourite brain part is the Medulla Oblongata

Budding neuropsycologists may want to take a look at http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neur...asiliadis.html

Detailing the observations in a patient where the corpus collosum (the connection between the hemispheres) was cut.

Brain Lateralization Test Results

Right Brain |||||||||||| 46%
    Left Brain |||||||||||| 50%

Looks like I am fairly equal. I reckon that in my case the missing four percent have been sacrificed to the great God guinnes.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

left 54, right 46. I am disappointed, thought I might be more left than right, but wait - no need to get our politics involved.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Originally posted here by mathgirl32
    Ok, if you're talking about me why don't you just come right out and say it??

I know my score shows me to be extremely left-brained but allow me to explain...

I am more left brained, it is true, but I have had a healthy dose of the arts as well. My undergraduate degree was a bachelor's of ARTS in Military History (specializing in tactics, strategy, and weapons technology). Also, I started playing percussion at the age of 8. By the time I was in high school I was one of the best percussionists in Texas. Also, I've played piano since the age of 6.

It just seems the older I get, the less I can tolerate imaginary crap, using my imagination, disregard for rules...and really just a lot of the right-brained characteristics. It's not bad...it's just not me. I don't mind being boring.

Actually you needed just one more bar to qualify as extreme left.

Let me guess, xylophones.....I'm pretty good at wind chimes myself, I'm better than the wind.

Egal, very interesting, but like I said that test falls into pop psychology.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by !mitationRust
    Actually you needed just one more bar to qualify as extreme left.

Let me guess, xylophones.....I'm pretty good at wind chimes myself, I'm better than the wind.

Xylophones?? Don't make me laugh!

Hardly. I took private lessons from school (snare, marimba, and all other persussion equipment), I also took private set lessons from Lightning Music & Sound (here in Dallas - don't know if it's still here or not), I also (against my will) took private lessons (more classical applications of percussion) from the principal percussionist of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. I was in the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra, Jazz Band, Honors Band, Drum Captain (played snare - not xylophone ), and the list goes on.... Maybe Katja would call me an expert.

I ended my career in college...got a few scholorships for some schools...but didn't really want to do that as a living. Not that what I picked was that much more useful....and probably why now I'm in school for my *real* career. *sigh*

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Hi Imitation,

Egal, very interesting, but like I said that test falls into pop psychology.
    I don't read much into these tests...they're a short term cure for boredom. Snake oil in an acedemic package.

If I was half as smart as they say I am I'd be filthy rich by now

Eg

I'd be an ' Expert '