Thread: Campaign : Internet Security Awareness

Campaign : Internet Security Awareness

Several federal agencies are partnering with Microsoft, eBay and a handful of nonprofit groups to launch an Internet security awareness campaign for consumers via newspaper, magazine and television ads as well as an educational Web site.
    I had a look at the site. It seems reasonable, though very basic. One thing jumped out: it says only 'consider' using anti-spyware utils along with a firewall and antivirus. Bad advice if ever there was. And nothing about securing the OS as far as I can see.

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/secu...l_federal.html
    WashingtonPost.com :: By Brian Krebs | September 27, 2005; 01:48 PM ET

Banned
    Yes... but can the average user secure the OS without opening more holes or possibly crppling it?

Do you want Grandma editing her registry?

Originally posted here by d0pp
    Yes... but can the average user secure the OS without opening more holes or possibly crppling it?

Do you want Grandma editing her registry?
    Of course keep Grandma out of the registry but I think most Grandma's have grandchildren like us or their friends have grandchildren who can help them. It not a big deal to install antivirus, antispywear and a firewall and it gets easier with each release.

Better the system is partially secure then wide open.

Best Regards,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Better the system is partially secure then wide open.
    A chain is as strong is as its weakest link. As for educating people about security it is a
    great move, things have to start somewhere! and i wish my gandma could edit registry.

"Alert the appropriate authorities by contacting:

* your ISP and the hacker's ISP (if you can tell what it is). You can usually find an ISP's email address on its website. Include information on the incident from your firewall's log file. By alerting the ISP to the problem on its system, you can help it prevent similar problems in the future.
    * the FBI at www.ifccfbi.gov. To fight computer criminals, they need to hear from you."

This is useless contacting the attackers ISP? it's the attacker computer just a hijacked
    pc contacting the authorities? good luck with that theyre swamped chasing attackers.