Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pesky xp

pesky xp

for some reason when I restart my computer, system32 file is open. It started doing it after I updated windows. Any ideas on what is opening it??

Hi webwurm99

Can you give us a few more details please................how did you detect this?

As far as I know "System32" is a pretty fundamental modern windows file.............if it DID NOT open, then Windows would not start?

You need to look at running services, processes, applications?

Also, it helps if you say which version of Windows you are running (and service packs)

Cheers

OK heres the story I had my local cable company come hook up broadband this weekend
    When they were here they screwed up my winsock file. Dell tech support told me to delete my hard drive partition then didnt call me back. I reinstalled windows myself and started updating.
    After a few updates and restarts is when i began to see the C:\windows\system32 folder open on startup telling me not to modify it. Then I tried a system restore to try and stop it so I am back to windows xp pro service pack 1
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein
    --The road to hell is paved with good intentions.--

oh and thank you for the reply

Hi webwurm99

Whilst I am more than willing to help, as are a lot on this forum, I do believe that you should tell the cable company to fix it................hey, they are charging?...............maybe your local TV/RADIO/PRESS...............? commercial companies really love bad publicity...........

OH!............where in the USA are you..............I am only interested in the time zone............here I am GMT or GMT+1(daylight saving)

Let me know what the cable company say.................DELL.....................support.............you managed to get those two words closer than I did

Cheers

I was too angry that they were touching my computer in the first place!!!! When I called the cable company before they told me to call Dell. Now Ive been at this since saturday morning , and I fear Ill never get this thing running like new again.

I live in Grand Junction, Colorado near the rocky Mountains

Hi webwurm99

and I fear Ill never get this thing running like new again.
    And you are a member of AO...............hell's teeth man, we ban Trolls...........but you are talking treason here?.............

From what I have seen on TV, Colorado is pure gorgeous.................a small place there and a small cactus ranch in Texas (<10 square miles)

Serious now,

Please tell your cable company to fix it................forget DELL...................it is really not their problem?

Incidentally, what happens if you try the phone link...............that might be your old 56.6 connection?

Cheers

Colorado is GMT -6?

GMT-7

I fear it isnt the cable companies problem, either my internet works after all. I discussed it with the tech I talked to last. The cable company was the last people I called .

I can fix it (with help) I just lack confidence.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein
    --The road to hell is paved with good intentions.--

OK webwurm99

Time you were in bed....................I will post back later, and I hope that we can resolve this thing?

Am I right in thinking that you can connect to the internet OK, but the "strange" folder/file is the issue?

Cheers

Johnno

Internet works fine. The problem is the C:\windows\system32 \ folder. Every time I log on to my Admon acct on windows it opens. Just like I were to go to run then type "system32", the folder is opened saying "these files are hidden" "this folder contains files that keep your system working properly" "You should not modify its contents"

and I dont want to modify its contents so I dont want it to open.