Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pesky xp

Hi,

OK I see the problem................will have to wait as I am doing Windows 2000 stuff at the moment, so both online boxes are running that. I will fire up an XP Pro tonight and take a look.......in the meantime, use your admin (you weren't logged in as admin?) to create a new account with admin rights............let me know what that one opens

new account works great . thats all I need for now. thank you for your time. I look forward to more
    posts soon.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein
    --The road to hell is paved with good intentions.--

********** |ceWriterguy
    Good job on the fix Nihil.

Post-game wrapup:
    What happened:

1. The cable company screwed up your winsock - it was originally their problem to fix.

2. The cable company told you to call Dell - them trying to pass the buck.

3. Dell had you delete the partition. now you're really screwed.

What should've happened (take note for next time):
    1. The cable company screwed up your winsock - it was their problem to fix.

2. Either the cable company fixes the problem, or you download a new winsock and install it yourself, then sue the crap out of the cable company for damaging your system. They're insured against said liabilities for that particular reason. Max damages: $1500 in small claims court for a new system - more than that and you'd have to hire a lawyer who'd tell you you'd pay him more than you'd win.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Hi |3lack|ce

I know that we are a security site, but fixing stuff is what we do?.............it "could" have been a security issue?.............sometimes figuring out that it is not, is the breakthrough?

I was rather upset with his cable company, as I am sure you gathered ................I must be at least 30 minutes on an ICBM from the guy (I was offered a job as test pilot), and I can help, yet they can/will not?

In the immortal words of Bill the Cat: Ack! Phttt!

Errrrrrrrrr..............webwurm99 are you sure it was the cable guy?.............sounds more like you got "Leisure Suit Larry in the land of the Lounge Lizards"...........now that DOES date me?

Stay cool and keep posting...............

AOs Resident Troll
    Google turned this up

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...+startup&meta=

Place to start

In the NT days this would happen when the RUN reg key was pointing to something that was no longer installed...and startup was still looking for it....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

********** |ceWriterguy
    nihil - absolutely we fix stuff - hence this:
    or you download a new winsock and install it yourself
    which is what I would've done in that situation. Full XP Reinstall is a last-resort scenario, but unfortunately these days it seems it's the first thing folks try (re: dell's "advice"). Yes, the tech (and his associated cable company) deserves bitchslapping. I would most definitely look into how much I'd been damaged monetarily (at a fat $250/hour of labor for the reinstall/fix) and take legal action. The downside is that he'll probably have to find another hispeed isp (and open himself to further risk). ICBM test pilot - hmm...sounds like a somewhat "dead-end" job as it were. I *Still* have my copies of leisure suit larry btw... they're fun on my old dos box. (you ain't THAT old yet) :P

Morgan - you're most likely right, but again my fix would've been to reinst winsock, thereby giving XP's registry something that was really there during startup. 2 diff ways of arriving at the same point. Your fix, however, would be easier but more time consuming.

Now a query for the class just to brush up on my own knowledge:
    What if I had no alternate method of downloading winsock and I wanted to extract it (and only it) from my XP cd? Is possible and how?

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AOs Resident Troll
    What I would do

Remove TCP\IP

reboot

and reinstall TCP\IP...reapply SP

I believe that this would fix the problem...rebuilding the protocol stack and bindings???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

You could check to see if there is a runaway startup setting in MSCONFIG? Maybe it's pointing to System32, or to something incorrectly, and Windoze decides to show you the system folder instead?

I say you should invest in Windows RG: Really Good edition: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/winrg.php

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

So my answer was wrong?

********** |ceWriterguy
    Good job on the fix Nihil.
    nuff said?