Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disabled woman sues RIAA

Regal Making Handler
    When I first read the article I was sceptical of the breaking into her computer claims, I still am actualy. However having read this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10...us_keyloggers/

A small snip
    In addition to criminalizing the actual interception, the U.S. law makes it a crime to either manufacture or possess any device if you have a reason to know that it is, "primarily useful for the purpose of the surreptitious interception of wire, oral, or electronic communications.
    Should not this mean that media sentry are guilty, they moniter and intercept P2P exchanges?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hmm interesting I hope this pans out. Might make the IRAA think a little more before they bully some into submission via the courtroom.
    meh. -ech0.

The types of tactics the RIAA is using have been used for a long time. There was a point in time where satellite TV provides obtained a list of every person who purchased the equipment needed to write on the smartcards their recievers used, then they sent them all mail saying they had to pay 3000 and send them the equipment (or some outrageuos claim like that) or they would be sued. Most people were scared to death so they paid without even thinking about it. One doctor did stand up to them and showed why he had the reader, which put an end to the threats.

the point is, the RIAA is intimidating people into paying. They know most people cant afford the lawyer bills, the time out of work, so they pay. even if they didnt really do it. What the RIAA is doing IS unethical.

I agree that intellectual rights need to be protected, but due process must be preserved. If they can legally obtain the information and proof about downloaders then they should press charges. But the way they are going about this is wrong. I hope this person follows through and wins.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

I am in a peculiar situation here, as I lost a job in the recording industry due to piracy

But I hope she creams those parasites for $50M...........................it would be a lesson?

My wife was once attacked in such a way.............it was via snail mail, from a company she had dealt with for a couple of years with no problems.............hadn't paid a bill for about $40.............they said.........she was about to pay her bank about $60 to prove that she had..........

I just rang a couple of contacts...........I saw an unofficial picture of the lumps of sh1t being led away in cuffs...............the guys with the MP5s..................another favour from another department............

They were charged with fraud and demanding money with menaces...............that is prime "Bubba time" stuff over here..............

I was able to demonstrate to mates in the fraud squad that they had had a computer fowl up, and that they had just reinstalled a backup from some time back............

Listen up you lamers out there............when you change fonts and what info appears in which box.........you leave a print better than DNA.................they got 5-7 and all because they employed a donkey as their IT boss?

Banned
    More here and here...

There was another similar case though. Unfortunately the lawyer in that case declared personal bankruptcy for his client and thus that case was over. And that's one way how the RIAA could win this case, simply because this woman can't afford the costs to pay for her lawyer. She might earn them back if she wins but until the RIAA is actually forced to pay her any damages, she will get close to going bankrupt.

Which just proves that the justice system can be severely flawed. I would almost say that justice can be bought...

Katja: She could fix this if she would put up a donation link. Many, many, many people have offered to give her donations to fight this, but so far I've not seen a way to do so.

EDIT: I just had to "subscribe" to the thread, giving as three out of four people subscribed have very similar names.

Banned
    She could put up a donation link somewhere but that might actually work against her! The RIAA could then claim that this woman is an attention seeker and just out to earn some quick money. They could argue that she apparantly is fooling many people to just donate money to her and just call it all 'foul play' from her side.

While it would help her cause to pay for the costs, others will clearly make it appear as if she's just doing this for the money. It's more just a flaw in the justice system that people have to give up on a court case simply because they went bankrupt.

Maybe this group http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/?f=riaa-v-thepeople.html should step up and help her out. It's apparent that the RIAA can be very heavy handed when it comes to going after individuals and with their huge resources available (usually from the sales of their overpriced cd's), it can be overwhelming for your average John Q public.

Yet you don't really hear that much about the RIAA going after the huge pirate's like China who are probably downloading tons of music.

I use the program Peerguardian from Methlabs and when I look at the logs to see who it blocked the majority of them are college's or universities, and a lot of times it is the University of Beijing, heck even the Dept of Defense gets in there, somebody probably bored and on duty and while he is there, why not use the Gov't PC to download some files.

So I get ticked when I see the "Industry" RIAA go after the minnows, and leave the big fish alone (paybacks,politics,graft, who knows), a Bully usually ends up on the receiving end at some point and maybe this is the one to do it.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Regal Making Handler
    Having done a little digging on MediaSentry, it would seem that they employ some Dubious people (and therefore tactics??).

Resume: http://kashpureff.org/ekashp/resume.html

Conviction: http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/kashpurepr.htm
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

The actual legal filings from this case can be found here (along with filings from other cases)

http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/

My favorite excerpt:

Settlement Support Center also falsely claimed that Ms. Andersen had "been viewed" by MediaSentry downloading "gangster rap" musica at 4:24 a.m. Settlement Support center also falsely claimed that Ms. Anderson had used the login name gotenkito@kazaa.com." Ms Anderson does not like "gangster rap," does not recognize the name "gotenkito," is not awaka at 4:24 a.m. and has never downloaded music.
    Blankety Blank Blank Blank!