Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slacker tries Gentoo

Slacker tries Gentoo

Ran accros this at OSnews..
    It's a review of the Gentoo from a Slackware user..
    Kinda the same experience I've had
    And I've been using Slackware longer then 'Steve Husted' has..

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=12129
    I've been wanting to try Gentoo for some time, but always had to roll my eyes at the pages and pages of installation instructions. This time, however, I rolled up my sleeves and buckled down. Minutes later, I was on my way.

At this point, let me ward off the flames: I didn't like Gentoo. We'll get to why in a minute. But if you like Gentoo, then great! Another one joins the Linux Army, another domino down for the Redmond beast, another win for freedom to use your computer as you see fit. Stop reading now and go use your OS. Go on. Shoo!
    Waiting for the first Gentoy fanboy(or girl) to comment..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    HAHA, well i have to admit he deserves merit for the attempt, but i still have to correct or comment a few things.
    Everyone knows me as a gentoo-freak, well I still am but i also don't deny other great distros. For.ex. At this moment
    I'm typing on my laptop from work with , yes, slackware on it. Its good to me, for i need quick installs of packages and stuff at work.

Anyway I still believe Gentoo is a super-distro, BUT you have to like it. If you're not charmed in doing a cli-based install, you prolly never will love Gentoo. I for one love it very much, cause it forced me to use the cli, it forced me to troubleshoot, which expanded my linux knowledge, and there's no better distro which gives this knowledge boost in just , let's say 2 weeks time.
    Also it is still swift and fast for me, besides the compiles . I also had numerous discussions about gentoo and i decided not to force people in gentoo. If you don't have love on first sight with it, you prolly never will like it.

Also the remarks about the gentoo-site i find very wrong. I find the Gentoo-site(wiki) the best there is. EVERY problem you have with Gentoo is already solved via the Gentoo forums. EVERY problem i had, i found resolved there. Also the Gentoo documentation project is very advanced there. I never found a distro with a better documentation. Not Slack, not debian, not FreeBSD, not fedora , ....

Anyway i rest my case with saying, its worth a shot trying, just to see if you have the chemistry

Cheers,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Banned
    I for one love it very much, cause it forced me to use the cli, it forced me to troubleshoot,
    Ah the genius of the open source community... tricking users into using new, superfluous versions of software they already know under the guise of expanding their knowledge.

cheers,

catch

Originally posted here by catch
    Ah the genius of the open source community... tricking users into using new, superfluous versions of software they already know under the guise of expanding their knowledge.

cheers,

catch
    Yea no ****. " Gentoo is hard to learn but you learn a lot" .... Yea, I learned that I already have Free BSD and Linux and therefore don't need that stack of poo.

I agree 100% with Shrekkie. Gentoo is nice because it's not yet LFS but not quite Fedora [well, not at all really]. Yeah it takes a long time to install and a lot of people will think there's no need for that -fomg-optimize type of thing...

It was a good learning experience for me too in terms of getting a better hang of Linux. As for the install, it can't be that hard... if I managed to do a stage 1 the first time around.

But people need to learn to read

I'm sticking to Gentoo as my main box [well, laptop] because it worked great so far. To each their own.
    /\\

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Yea no ****. " Gentoo is hard to learn but you learn a lot" .... Yea, I learned that I already have Free BSD and Linux and therefore don't need that stack of poo
    And people still weren't able to teach you not to act like a child. If you answer then do it constructive. We all know you're suse-minded, but if you can't answer in a gentoo-thread in a normal way or on-topic and just answer to try and pick, then stfu, cause it doesn't bother me anymore. Just grow up man ! Nobody likes your 1337 OS-behavior anymore ....
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

What you didn't attack Catch? He bashed it more than I did. I'm childish, and I just got into an accident.... Actually it was like 5 hours ago BUT I JUST GOT HOME waiting for cops, two truck to drag my truck away and the rent a car people to bring me A ****ING SUBURBAN which needs 170 dollars in gas to get it going.

Yea I've had a wonderfull day, really makes me think about things, like why I bothered putting my opinion on this thread like Catch did. Doesn't matter what I say about Gentoo, you'll twist it into hatred. I just checked and you have yet to reply to a PM I sent long ago about giving Gentoo another chance to like it. Why no reply? Worried you won't be able to flame at me when I post if there isn't a reason to do so?

I've just spent 4 (complete) days trying to install gentoo. I've been using Slack for about a year now and finally decided I should take the plunge into gentoo. Got a little free time and downloaded the minimal install disk, got rid of the Slackware partition and started through the long and laborious process of the handbook. After 3 separate attempts (with stage1, stage2 and stage3 respectively) I've given up today.

To cut a long story short, I finally realised that there must be something wrong with my hardware that kept giving me 'segmentation fault' and 'No error bug, must be a hardware or OS error' errors all through the installation. I mean, whenever I tried to 'emerge' something, if it was a huge installation like X or maybe gtk, it would compile for an hour or so and then give me the error. I've finally given up today, and am going to dig out my slack 10.2 disks from inside and have a happy installation .

But some good did come out of trying to install gentoo. I've got a pretty good idea about what options to select (and what not to select) while compiling the kernel .

But other than that, I learnt never to mess with gentoo again.

/edit: Forgot to mention ... if I do have hardware issues, for some reason slackware and windows XP are not that sensitive to it as gentoo. They work perfectly fine.
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777

Nobody said Gentoo was for the faint of heart. I wasn't even that good with Linux when I installed it but I did get it right the first time in a stage 1 install. On a laptop, mind you.

Natural selection at its best.
    /\\

Uhhh no.... Natural selection is aure as hell not at it's best. There is a distro that supposedly only 8 people have ever been able to install. Can't remember what it was.... and as for this "hard" install for Gentoo, ROCK Linux has been doing that for how long? Then again what do I know, I'm a child