Thread: Nmap Video Tutorial 2: Port Scan Boogaloo

King Tutorial-ankhamun

Nmap Video Tutorial 2: Port Scan Boogaloo

I’ve finished the follow-up video to the “Basic Nmap Usage” presentation I put out many months ago. The new tutorial can be found here:

Nmap Video Tutorial 2:Port Scan Boogaloo
    http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/nmap2

It’s just under 14MB, but I thought the extra sound quality was worth it. In this new tutorial I cover more advanced topics like: Logging Nmap’s footprint in IDS/Firewall logs DNS functions Stealth considerations Packet trace Decoys Bounce and Idle scans
    Nmap support files

I suggest you watch the older video first if you have not already. The first video can be found here:
    http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/nmap1
    Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Hey Hey,

Irongeek, first off.. great tutorial... I definately like the setup of it...

I just had a few things to point out...

When you were talking about the files associated with nmap (other than the binary) The first one you had listed as nmap.dtd on the screen, yet it sounded like you said nmap.dtl. I listened a couple times and that was till the impression that I got.

The second thing was ARP Ping... you said that this would only work if you were on the same LAN/Subnet, however there is an exception to that (or in theory their should be) and that's if you have a router with Proxy ARP enabled.

The last thing was your credits page... You had everyone listed at the website.. Fyodor at insecure.org, thehorse13 at antionline.com etc.... and it sounded like you said Droops at infonomicon.org, however you have it typed on the screen as Droops and Infonomicon.org.. maybe this was intentional, but it doesn't fit with the rest of them so I thought I'd point it out to you.

Otherwise it was quite enjoyable to watch,

Peace,
    HT

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I had a hell of a time trying to say nmap.dtd, every time I tried I stumbled on that word. I did not think of a router Proxy ARP enabled, how common are they? I may go back in and change a thing or two.

I did not think of a router Proxy ARP enabled
    I believe that Cisco has it enabled by default. It is configured on a per interface basis.
    It is easy enough to disable though...

Router# configure terminal
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    Router(config)# interface ethernet 0
    Router(config-if)# no ip proxy-arp
    Router(config-if)# ^Z
    Router#
    As far as I know, Linksys routers (specifically the wrt54g) do not have this enabled by default.
    In order to enable it on a linksys router, you have to log in through ssh or telnet and enter
    # echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/`route | grep default | awk '{print $NF}'`/proxy_arp
    However, when the router is reset or power cycled, this setting is lost.

I'm not sure about other routers, as these are mainly the two that I use.

As far as to "how common are they".

This is just my opinion...

I would say on home networks, they are not very common.

On business networks, they could be pretty common as a lot of people use cisco and this is a default setting. I know that I disable it, but not sure how many others out there do...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Ok, I changed it.

Nice work Irongeek It was really worth all the hardwork you put into it! I look forward for many more frun you!
    meh. -ech0.

Smile

Hi Irongeek,

Sometimes you were a little fast during the drill, otherwise it's a excellent work
    and I really enjoyed it a lot.....

Very Cool website too

Cheers,
    B.B

propz

always good stuff like seeing what you do for the community