Thread: Syn Port attack

Question Syn Port attack

hi,

I'm using an unregistered version of mcafee antivirus & firewall...... many times while surfing the internet i get a message "mcafee has intercepted a syn port attack from x.x.x.x" (thats an ip address by the way). Then it offers to trace some computer/server/router.

I understand what "trace" means and does, but whats the meaning of syn port attack ??

Just Another Geek
    A TCP connection is setup using a "three-way handshake". This means a series of packets in order SYN, SYN/ACK and an ACK..

A SYN port attack probably means somebody tried to setup a connection (first SYN packet) to a port on your computer. Your firewall should block all connection attempts, check to make sure. If correctly blocked you can safely ignore these alerts. You'll get a lot of them, thanks to all the viruses running rampant on the Internet..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Even though i knew tcp sync. process, i wasnt able to figure out what the term means

Thanks

Without actually seeing what your firewall triggered on to give the alert the syn can be used for several things, one of which is a denial of service attacks(SYN Flooding).

The other could be an attempt to fingerprint your OS, I can't think of a time that it wouldn't be sent to a port. It could be your vendors way of generalizing the many malicious uses of a syn packet and just name the alert "SYN Port Attack"
    There are two rules for success in life:
    Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.