Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux experts needed

Banned
    There is no setting up to fail... the question I am putting forward is "Why am I, an information systems decision maker, under the impression that Linux doesn't meet my needs."

This doesn't mean that Linux doesn't meet my needs, but I am trying to address why I think this. The best way to find out is to ask experts about how they would meet my needs with Linux and then map these answers back to the points I gave.

Now as far as the question of what is or is not "typical" just because most organizations fail to meet these needs doesn't make them any less typical. My buisness requirements are nothing out of the ordinary with regard to the questions I am asking and Linux may well meet all the requirements... again the point is understanding why I am under the impression that it doesn't.

Also, no one thus far has complained about my questions being anything the least bit exotic, so I kindly ask you to reseve your judgement until you actually know what you are judging.

cheers,

catch

Catch, in case you're wondering why I haven't replied yet, it's going on 5:30 AM, I have to be up in 2 and a half hours for work, and between no sleep, homework, and the fact I can't go to bed for at least another 15 hours.... Yea I'm in no way shape or form good for question answering at this time, so I'll send you a reply tommorrow.... Or sooner depending how this goes.

Yet another all nighter, and another all dayer complement for the all nighter. I'm going to probably look like I starred in Night of the Living Dead by around 12 PM.

On my second can of Rip It Energy drink, and 6th Vicodin. Heh, both are needed, mainly because if I'm at the point where I'm getting 4 hours of sleep or less I have to make a decision on whether sleep is actually a good idea (It's hell waking me up as it is) so, I'm trying to stay up for now.

Banned
    Hell, I don't think I've gotten more than 4hours of sleep in a given 24 hours more than a handful of time over the last 15 years or so... and most of those were when I was sick.

Really it takes quite a long time (5-7 days with no sleep at all) before psychosis sets in, other than that you might have a slight headache and after day two your mouth gets all cottony (kinda mimics amphetamine poisoning) and your joints/eyes a little sore, but nothing too bad.

Stop being such a wuss. :P

cheers,

catch

Lol, dude lol, you forgot that on the third day, you get beligerant (SP?) and start acting like you're either on LSD or REALLY drunk...

hey guys...if i want to install 2 or more linux distros, do i need to install the new distros separately?
    buat baik berpada-pada,buat jahat jangan sekali

Niklas, this isn't the thread for it, but yes. You need to have the two root paths on separate partitions, although you can share the boot device (and /home and /tmp) if you want. Anything else is like waving your hand and asking for someone to shoot you in the head.
    .. Actually, if you're *careful*, the only thing you need to have separate is /etc... But it's still a gamble.

catch : your questions are very interesting! I'm very glad that I chose to participate, because you're helping me define knowledge which was only very vague to me before.
    And to anyone who's trying to bitch him out.. He is very fair and his wording is carefully neutral His questions aren't setups for failures at all.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Originally posted here by catch
    So far...

15 out of 50 decided that they were not expert enouh
    27 out of 35 have answered the first question
    1 out of 27 have answered the second question
    0 out of 1 have answered the third question
    0 out of 0 have answered the fourth
    0 out of 0 have answered th fifth and last question
    [...]
    cheers,

catch
    What about now?

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: Linux experts needed

Originally posted here by catch
    The subject of the paper is an investigative report on why I don't think Linux meets my, rather typical needs.
    Gonna be a very short paper if you ask me:

Why I don't Think Linux Meets My Rather Typical Needs

I don't think Linux meets my rather typical needs because I don't like it, and my opinions on this are more valid than anyone elses.

oooOOOooo

However, I'll do the questionaire if it helps out.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

lol, easy, easy, it's so funny that you're all trolling him out!
    He's actually asking for information. He's aware that his lack of knowledge doesn't allow him to make a fair judgement (and he said that before, too!), so he wants information so he can make as fair a comparison as possible.

You haven't posted any questions yet.
    My middle name is Linus, and I know
    everything.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.