Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts

AOs Resident Troll

Your Thoughts

Just thought I would get some feed back from the group....

I am currently pricing a new server for a site...looking at a Dell.

I have convinced them to upgrade to a hardware RAID5 solution...

My dilema is SCSI or SATA harddrives???

I usually go with scsi....

Thought I would see what your thoughts are....from some of the spurts around here

15-20 users...SBS2003 Standard with a PSQL database...some remote vpn to remote desktop.

Currently running a SBS2000 15 users on an 3 year old Dell. PIII, 2 scsis mirrored...no load issues...nothing that a reboot doesnt fix

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Banned
    I've installed SCSI and SATA in multiple real estate offices and I love the simplicity and ease of use of SATA drives...

AOs Resident Troll
    Good point unhappy

I am of the old school...scsi is server hardware....more reliable and made to run 24\7

although I have fallen behind on my hardware knowledge lately...(too busy with database stuff)

Thats why I posted here.

Thanks

MLF

MLF, do the sata HD are NCQ capaple ? if they are not, forget SATA and choose SCSI.

But even they are NCQ capable, i would choose SCSI because (usually) SCSI controllers have a better performance and more features.

You need to compare cache, write cache, total troughput, PCI-X support, raid options, etc...
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

AOs Resident Troll
    Thanks cacosapo

NCQ??? (going to google when I have time...)

I am thinking scsi too...cause thats what I have always recommended with servers...although I have some WS with the SATA drives...and no real issues...although they are WS...

I like reliable hardware in the server...

Its just that sometimes a new technology may come around...and I am still stuck in an older mindset

"nothing but scsi in a server"

MLF

Aslong as money is not an issue always go with SCSI for servers if you can.

SATA is good but SCSI is better! You have already mentioned the benifits of SCSI over SATA the main one I feel is the reliability issue.

The SCSI bus is more reliable and can be faster if you have the right SCSI (wide SCSI-2 or ultra w/SCSI 2).

Banned
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_command_queueing
    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040625/

"Native command queuing is a technology designed to increase performance of SATA"

The way I look at it.... what features do you "need" from a HD ... It's a freaking HD. If it fails it's not going to be because it's SATA and/or SCSI. Especially if you get SATA motherboard and a pair of 10000rpm HD's it's the best bang for your buck and it'll blow away almost anything performance wise when configured as striping

NCQ N is for native good for our use. TCQ T is for tagged. Tagged command queing is a multiuser benefit and hurts single-user desktop performance.

AOs Resident Troll
    Nokia

You and I are from the same school of thought

Server harddrives should be scsi

I am confused on the NCO TCO thing...wouldnt I want a TCO for a server...multiuser enviroment??

I just have heard about SATA in servers and thought I would explore the idea...

Cost is about 1000 less for SATA.....and these guys are cheap...maybe I wont even give them the option.

I try and explain...either you pay for it now on the hardware side or later on the support \downtime side...all ends up the same

If not more

Only I get the support dollars in my pocket...along with the stress

Many thanks for your input.....keep it coming if there are more thoughts on this

MLF

Banned
    all i'm gonna say is ... even for 30 users SCSI is overkill ....