Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada and US fight over the San Juan Islands

Canada and US fight over the San Juan Islands

Friday morning soldiers on the San Juan Islands near Vancouver and Washington State collided over control over the Islands, several people were injured in the ensuing battle that lasted for five hours.
    This is not the first time there has been a conflict over the Islands, there was an incident in the 1800's that almost resulted in the two Countries going to War.

Canada and US go to War

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    How is this possible? The US and Canada love each other!
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi Tex I think that EG~ is referring to the "Pig War" of 1859.

EDIT: I may be wrong, but I believe there are other unresolved territorial issues. I seem to recall that the US/Canadian borders were being sorted out then along came the American Civil War, and they got a bit distracted?

Hi nhil,

Geeeeeez...you're right on! That's exactly what I was refering to...how'd you know that?????

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to nihil again.
    See how I snuck some legitimate history in there to give it credibility

Eg

EDIT: The Pig War

A wandering pig set off an armed confrontation between Canada and the United States and it lasted for twelve years. The incident occurred June 15,1859, a warm summer’s day on San Juan Island, just east of Victoria, B.C. Farmer Lyman Cutler stepped out onto his balcony to find that a pig, owned by the Hudson’s Bay Company, was once again rooting around in his garden. Enraged, he promptly shot the pig. The Hudson’s Bay Company threatened to take farmer Cutler to Victoria for trial in a British Columbia, but the Americans would not hear of such a thing. The treaty of 1846 had established that the international boundary line lay in mid-channel in the Strait of Juan de Fuca , which they claimed made San Juan Island American territory. The problem was that there were at least two channels. The argument smoldered for months until the Americans called in the military. Captain George Pickett arrived July 26, 1859 and immediately proclaimed the island U.S. territory. The following week 61 Royal Marines, with a different point of view, stepped ashore from a British warship. for the next twelve years armed detachments faced each other across the western end of the long international boundary. In 1871, under the treaty of Washington, the matter was referred to Emperor Wilhelm 1 of Germany for arbitration. He awarded the verdict to the United States.

Hi EG~

Geeeeeez...you're right on! That's exactly what I was refering to...how'd you know that?????
    I have always had an interest in history and precedent.

The interest to historians, political geographers and politics students is that this incident took place at the height of colonial expansion and "gunboat diplomacy", yet was resolved without violence (apart from the pig of course )

Regal Making Handler
    Never mind history, the yanks will never for give you for "South Park",

Or is it the other way round
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

The problem was that there were at least two channels.
    The Strait of Juan De Fuca and Haro Strait. I use to live up there

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

ph33r the mighty war machine of the evil empire of canad-eh. Oh, for the record, if Canada got invaded by the US, Id be the leader of the liberation army. I might just be looking for any excuse to wear a ski mask, black boots, and a bombers jacket
    meh. -ech0.

Hi ech0.

The US would never succeed in an invasion of Canada...on the first day they'd get so drunk off of our beer they'd forget why they came and head home

Eg

Or they would invade us in the summer and we'd all be on the patio and or cottage
    meh. -ech0.